1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sir Vince Cable has signed up to Dr. Myhill’s MAIMES Campaign

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Hoopoe, Mar 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is good news, right? I don't know who this Sir Cable is, but maybe he can challenge a certain other knight to a duel debate.

@Jonathan Edwards could he be our Mueller? ie. the person that has the power to uncover all the corruption and finally hold the people responsible for this mess accountable.

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vince Cable Leader of the Liberal Democrats (rather depleted third political party); good guy, well-respected MP, limited influence but another voice is always good.

Valentijn, Hutan, Chezboo and 12 others like this.
  4. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Lib Dems aren't the force that they once were, but I'll share this: when I started out as a public sector accountant, my team would sometimes receive letters from MPs. I didn't really know who Vince Cable was at the time but his letters were always the hardest to answer, as he had a genuine grip of the issues at hand and a forensic approach to correspondence. His letters would create a slight panic in the team! Behind his slightly 'elderly uncle' exterior lies a smart, smart brain.

aaron_c, Valentijn, Hutan and 18 others like this.
  5. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This.

Louie41 and Barry like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

He was a senior economist before he entered politics. I wouldn't raise your hopes too high - lots of MP's sign lots of things to please their constituents. No harm in trying to keep him informed I guess, but he has absolutely no power.

Skycloud, Louie41 and Barry like this.
  7. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alis and Barry like this.
  8. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am hoping that a group of MPs will form and work to support Carol Monaghan's request for a debate in the full House. I have asked my MP (also Libdem) to do this. He has signed the petition. The more supportive MPs the better.

Several MPs tweeted support on the day of the debate including Nicky Morgan ( Cons) who asked the Minister for a full Commons debate in the Westminster Hall Debate, and there was a Cons MP from Scotland whose name I can't remember. Labour members have often supported Bills in the House and Carol is Labour, so it would be good to get all party support for a full debate.

EDIT: I don't tweet so miss info that arrives this way. Can someone who does tweet keep us up to date with any more MPs who are interested. At some point I may try to alert my MP of any interest.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  9. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would be foolish at this stage to say too much, but it would appear that the wheels are in motion for this...

Edit: I'm aware this kind of post is very annoying. Basically - rest assured that work is being done behind the scenes to try to make this happen. Fingers crossed it works out and we see the results in the coming months.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Solstice, Valentijn, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nonetheless his high profile endorsement is a major plus. Pure political power may not come with his advocacy, but his presence alone could help bring others round.

Solstice, Valentijn, Skycloud and 8 others like this.
  11. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I noted in the debate that Nicky Morgan asked the Minister a question about having a full debate to which she seemed to respond very positively.
    Then did some Wikiing and found that the Minister ( Caroline Dineage) had been Parl Private Secretary to Nicky Morgan when the latter was in the Cabinet.

I drew some conclusions but I may have added 2+2 to make 6. I don't think so though.

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vince Cable was very happy to be a member of the cabinet in the 2010-2015 Conservative-Liberal Coalition government that effectively destroyed the NHS in the hands of Jeremy Hunt. At any time during that administration the Liberals could have pulled the plug, but they did nothing, happy to have their brief fifteen minutes of importance. Which is why we are in the mess we are in today. It cannot be bad to have an MP supporting the concerns of PWME but he is no knight in shining armour - rather the reverse I fear.

ladycatlover, Trish, Alis and 3 others like this.
  13. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And still we have Jeremy Hunt running the show.

ladycatlover, Trish, Alis and 2 others like this.
  14. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't go forgetting that Andrew Lansley was also Secretary of State for Health, before Hunt. I never will.

15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Very interesting @Binkie4. Hopefully NM will be able to at least get an opportunity to put the minister right on what’s going on- although even if CD takes on board there’s a problem actually doing something about it is a whole different kettle of fish as a junior minister doesn’t have much room for manoeuvre without the ok from the Health Secretary. Nevertheless it would put pressure on the status quo if a minister started asking awkward questions within the department

Binkie4 likes this.