1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Silence is Death-What the HIV activists taught us (Tidsskriftet) Norway March 2019

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Snowdrop, Mar 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A longish read. I skimmed through.

An interesting quote from near the end:

The activists questioned the gold standard of medical intervention research – the randomised, controlled trial – and showed how a series of normative assessments are made in all medical research, for example how study groups are composed. Thus, the activists succeeded in undermining the status of the randomised, controlled trial as representing an indisputable truth that was directly applicable to the real world.

ETA the missing link (thanks again to @Andy ) Next time the link goes in first.

https://tidsskriftet.no/en/2017/09/essay/silence-death-what-hiv-activists-taught-us

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Lisa108, andypants and Skycloud like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No link Snowdrop?

3. Snowdrop

Again? Sorry folks. I spend so much energy getting the title right. Link now added.

inox and Skycloud like this.
  4. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

THis is what we are missing more organized (shaming goverment and psys) campaign.

Cinders66 and andypants like this.
  5. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Snowdrop - the date on the article is september 4th, 2017. Not that it matters much :)

Thanks for linking, don't think I read it at the time. Since I learned about ACT up and read up about what they actually were doing at the time, I've always wondered how the BPS-brigade would have reacted to some actual activists.

6. Snowdrop

I must have quoted the today's date on viewing the article. <sigh>

They MAKE it complicated. :confused:

Yessica and andypants like this.
  7. Snowdrop

I thought the quoted part was interesting as I don't think everyone got the memo (about RCT's)
    Certainly it must only apply to the US? For me this is something to bang on about. RCT are not a gold standard.

IMO this is another idea that must die. That and questionnaire's and the belief that they are giving some kind of definitive data rather than suggesting a place to start looking and only when the Q has been through much rigour and refinement (although that can go either way-finding what's there/finding what you want)

andypants likes this.