1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shropshire Star article

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sbag, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

News article from the Shropshire Star

A nice story but my bolded bits stand out to me as refreshing change in how ME is reported!

"The sculpture being created by The British Ironwork Centre in Oswestry, will be unveiled at The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust’s charity Fun Day on July 7.

Old pieces of equipment that can no longer be used or repaired include blood pressure monitors, parts of hospital beds, surgical hands, microscopes, a former anaesthetic machine, a broken dialysis machine and wheelchairs.

The public was asked for suggestions for the sculpture and a design submitted by 34-year- old Oliver Vaughan-Jones, who was diagnosed with a life-altering neurological condition 10-years- ago, stood out above all others.

Oliver, from Montgomery, is a former Product Design Engineering student at Brunel University in London. In 2008 he was diagnosed with M.E. - Myalgic encephalomyelitis – an illness characterised by a range of neurological symptoms and signs, muscle pain with intense physical or mental exhaustion, relapses and specific cognitive disabilities.

Mr Knowles said: “It was incredibly inspiring to read all the different suggestions but we all felt the hairs on the back of our necks stand to attention as we read through Oliver’s blueprints. He is obviously an extremely talented young man and the determination he has shown to submit a full portfolio of fabulous drawing only goes to emphasise how important projects like this are to people who really care about our NHS.”
    "

Read more at https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/health/2018/03/27/have-a-heart-for-the-nhs/#jRTwiqiWfG3eztzZ.99