1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shilajit

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by josepdelafuente, May 7, 2022.

1. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there a thread about this already?

Someone just mentioned this to me - https://www.healthline.com/health/shilajit#benefits

"
    3. Chronic fatigue syndrome
    Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a long-term condition that causes extreme tiredness or fatigue. CFS can make it difficult to go to work or school, and simple everyday activities can prove challenging. Researchers think that shilajit supplements may reduce symptoms of CFS and restore energy.

CFS has been associated with mitochondrial dysfunction. This occurs when your cells don’t produce enough energy. In a study from 2012, researchers gave lab rats shilajit for 21 days, and then induced CFS by forcing the rats to swim 15 minutes for 21 consecutive days. The results found that shilajit helped reduce the effects of CFS. They think this was the result of the shilajit helping to prevent mitochondrial dysfunction.

Based on these results, naturally boosting your body’s mitochondrial function with shilajit supplements may help improve energy levels. "

Anyone heard of this / got any experience?

Hutan, hinterland and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I never heard of the supplement, but i am certain that CFS cannot be induced by making an animal do exercise. thats absurd. Over exercising isnt an established way of inducing CFS.
    This shows the researchers dont even know what CFS is, its not feeling utterly knackered because you've done too much exercise!
    Therefore I wouldnt trust anything else they said tbh.

ETA Actually that study makes me really quite cross. They have no way whatsoever of knowing that those rats had CFS - if they mean what we mean by it. If they mean exaustion, then fair enough, but that has nothing to do with us, they need to call it CF not CFS.
    If every mammal that did a whole load of exercise for 21 days in a row or even 21 months, developed ME/CFS because ofit, then the earth's population would be in deep sh*t

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    MeSci, Hutan, oldtimer and 13 others like this.
  3. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow yes I somehow missed the bit about the rats. Does seem completely ridiculous doesn't it.

alktipping, Ariel, hinterland and 7 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Sadly there’s a few of these studies based on tired animals. :banghead:

MeSci, Hutan, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wouldn't trust anything in that website as accurate. It appears to be a promotion/sales related website. Healthline, indeed.

6. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried it and it was energising but had to stop due to palpitations, just something that I’m susceptible to, perhaps. I think one needs to be careful about the source of the shilajit to make sure it’s not contaminated with high levels of heavy metals, etc., so chose a reputable supplier.

I think Sherpas have been known to include shilajit as part of their diet before hoofing it up mountains!

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.