1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Scottish ME Action update their manifesto. Call for commitment of £1m per year by the CSO for biomedical research :-) amongst other things

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Cinders66, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Under a quid a week, unless the Scottish don't have paid holidays, in which case it's a quid a week.

Researchers and labs must be cheap in Scotland, or expected to be so.

Why such a ludicrously low figure, as an ask? I can understand why, politicians being what they are,they may not be awarded more than that, or even that, but to ask for so little.........befuddles me.

3. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How is it a £1 a week ? 1 million divided by 52 is £19 ,000. Sorry I see you are meaning per person. Well in context across the UK aLzheimers gets £88 per person per year or was until recently , it might have significantly increased, so its half of that. £1 a week pp is far better than the £1 per year pp biomedical research spending we have averaged in UK past ten years.

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I think the point about funding in proportion to disease burden is probably quite difficult for any politician or medical establishment figure who might actually have some influence on funding to argue against they would look pretty pathetic if they do. If 30x that was actually given to make up for historical neglect what would it actually get spent on right now. I think £1m for Scotland would be great and put pressure on situation in the rest of the U.K.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This might be my fault. In support of the petition to the Scottish Parliament I said:

It would be proportionate for at least one centre in Scotland to have an annual research budget for ME of at least £500,000-£1M.

But I did say at least.

Scotland has a track record for being ahead of the game. £1M in Scotland would make it look mean not to have £10M for the UK. That would be enough to cover a lot of useful work. I think this is pitched at a credible level.

chelby, Sunshine3, Sly Saint and 16 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please have more " faults" !

7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Go Scotland, go!

adambeyoncelowe, petrichor and Trish like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First search result gave a CSO budget of just £69million.
    https://www.cso.scot.nhs.uk/about/

So proportionally this is like looking for around $541 million or so from the NIH (research budget of $37.3 billion in FY2018, the first search result). MS gets less than $100 million the last time I checked.

I’m not saying it’s wrong to call for this amount just putting things in perspective. The total research budgets in many/most countries are relatively small.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Snow Leopard, Andy, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, Australia actually spends more than many countries despite it's smaller size...

UK: https://mrc.ukri.org/about/what-we-do/spending-accountability/facts/ (about $1 billion USD)

Australia: https://aamri.org.au/news-events/2019-20-federal-budget-whats-in-it-for-medical-research/ ($730 million USD)