1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

School Functioning in Adolescents With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2018, Knight et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]Sarah Jenette Knight1,2,3*, [​IMG]Jennifer Politis1,4, [​IMG]Christine Garnham1,4, [​IMG]Adam Scheinberg1,2,3,5 and [​IMG]Michelle Anne Tollit1,2,4,6
    • 1Murdoch Children's Research Institute, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
    • 2The Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
    • 3Department of Pediatrics, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
    • 4Melbourne Graduate School of Education, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
    • 5Department of Pediatrics, Monash University, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
    • 6The Royal Children's Hospital Education Institute, Parkville VIC Australia, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fped.2018.00302/full

Sean, Lidia, rvallee and 10 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract:

3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Emotional symptoms were not connected with school absence in this study, either.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Sean, MEMarge, andypants and 2 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

Note that these are not the main Canadian ME/CFS criteria for adults

6. Dolphin

Sean and MEMarge like this.
  7. Dolphin

Sean, MEMarge, Lidia and 2 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

Sean, MEMarge, andypants and 5 others like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Schools, in our exoerience, simply can' t cope with prolonged part time attendance. Part time attendance is (usually) geared towards a return to full time attendance .

A combination of virtual learning and school attendance could offer the best of both worlds, however it is seldom available. Ideally suited for mildly affected , this could reduce the potential for progression to moderate . The no isolation robot could come into its own here.

I do not think educationalists appreciate the effort it takes simply to go to school, let alone be capable of learning.This is where simple measurement of attendance fails to see the bigger picture. Potential is not achieved BECAUSE children are forced to school and are being set up to fail.

There is no national MOODLE for simple information dissemination, let alone virtual teaching universally available for those who need it either for a few months or full time, and yet there are mant private providers in England and Wales ( interhigh, Nissai, apricot learning...). None in Scotland. Given Australia' s history of providing distsnce learning options, i would imagine that there could be more flexibility / availability.

Online virtual education could be a godsend - preserving function, limiting PEM, maximising potential for those for whom school attendance simply makes things worse.

As you fall further behind your peers it makes things much more difficult on all fronts.

The whole concept of school needs to change.

petrichor, Sean, Mithriel and 8 others like this.
  10. Dolphin

Before I read the results, I thought the measure used might not be the best to assess what they called "academic performance".

Someone with the condition might have general academic skills built up over a number of years but still faced difficulty learning and remembering information and so might have worse academic performance than expected for them. Also, there is a lot of variation in academic ability so somebody could be performing better than a population average but below their potential.

Sean, MEMarge, andypants and 3 others like this.
  11. Dolphin

12. Dolphin

13. Dolphin

These points seem reasonable to me:

14. Dolphin

Sad for those this is true for (I might think a lot may catch up eventually).

Sean, MEMarge and Lidia like this.
  15. Dolphin

Sean, MEMarge and Amw66 like this.
  16. Dolphin

Sean, MEMarge and Amw66 like this.
  17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The high SES and substantially above average IQ of the participants suggests participation biases in studies like this one.

MyalgicE, Sean, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  18. MyalgicE

MyalgicE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2019
    andypants, MEMarge, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Either physically attend, with sufficient cognitive function to engage productively. Or sufficient cognitive function to engage productively while working from home.
    Definitely this. My capacity to learn and remember fell dramatically when I got sick.