1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Royal College of Physicians article: "Do you really believe in ME?" by Dr Nina Muirhead

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/do-you-really-believe-me

Keebird, ahimsa, TiredSam and 49 others like this.
  2. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you so much, Dr. Nina Muirhead - not many doctors are open about having ME, even less also share their experience. We know the stigma you face, thank you <3

Just like to highlight this part, it's such a strong statement:

Keebird, Dechi, ladycatlover and 25 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nice one.

Simone, Hutan, JaneL and 13 others like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What do you think of this statement:

"The reality is ME/CFS is a serious, heritable, neurological condition and I was shocked to discover subsequently that my grandmother had died from it aged 42."

I had not heard of it being heritable. I wonder whether it was on her grandmother's death certificate.

DigitalDrifter, Dechi, shak8 and 10 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It does seem to run in families, as people here will testify, but of course that does not necessarily mean it is inherited. I hope it isn't.

shak8, ladycatlover, Simone and 6 others like this.
  6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Speaking of deconditioning. In the last few months I've experimented and intentionally changed my time spent upright patterns. It seems that avoiding sitting and walking for a week is noticable in some bad ways too. It felt like there was a new feeling of lazy tiredness. Is this the terrible deconditioning I heard about? If so, how can anyone think this could be confused with an illness?

Sbag, ladycatlover, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

There was a recent report from a very large epidemiological study in the US suggesting that there was a significant genetic component, even if we so far cannot identify specific genes for sure.

We all carry risk genes for some chronic illness or other and they get resorted by generation so I am not sure genetic factors are any more worrying than ubiquitous environmental factors that may be harder to shake off! Epstein Barr virus shows no sign of being got rid of for instance.

8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many, many things have a genetic component - being trampled by elephants has several genes involved that determine the risk.

Genes that determine things like whether or not you're a shark for example ;)

Then there are environmental factors - living in Manchester decreases the risk of being trampled by elephants considerably.

A shark living in Manchester....

9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At least some of the ME/CFS forms are heritable. This is fairly obvious from the many reports of families where more than one person has it. There are even more families where one person has full blown ME/CFS and at least another person has some vague fatigueing illness nobody can diagnose. Presumably that is ME/CFS so mild that it cannot be diagnosed without more accurate tools which we don't have at the moment. Both anecdotal reports and studies have found this.

10. Barry

The UK is infested with sharks, believe me ...

11. Barry

Actually I don't think it is that obvious. Just because people in the same family have the same condition, does not necessarily mean the medical condition itself has been inherited. It could be that some trait has been inherited, which then causes people to share something common to the way they live, their environment, whatever, that might put them at higher risk. As per @Wonko's example of being trampled by elephants. I don't think there is enough proof either way yet.

12. Jonathan Edwards

There is a fibreglass one diving in to the roof of a house close to the psychiatric hospital near Headington in Oxford -look it up on the internet.

13. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It has repeatedly said that many with ME are 'atopic', have allergies and intolerances. I think the figure was about 60%. It applies in my family, husband/son.

14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Nice one. I shared it to local Facebook support group and also to my own small collection of Facebook friends. Some of whom are relatives very old friends and the rest former colleagues and a couple of ME folks I have acquired.

I don’t share much ME stuff generally a handful across the year. It needs to be by a credible person in a credible publication and not too niche or lengthy to make it easy for non-ME person to get their head around. This one is the first one any of my friends has ever shared to their friends. One of my old friends did that and commented about how she’s seen the impact on me. I’m touched.

15. Barry

:D:D:D

upload_2019-4-10_20-43-24.png

A night out on the tiles that went wrong maybe.

16. Barry

My wife would fit that.

ladycatlover, Simone and MEMarge like this.
  17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But is it any danger of being trampled by elephants? My argument stands ;)

18. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Established Member (Voting Rights)

Were you thinking of this one?
    Mitochondrial DNA variants correlate with symptoms in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome
    (2016) Maureen Hanson et al, Cornell University
    https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-016-0771-6

According to 23andme I have mitochondrial (maternal) haplogroup H. In the above study this is associated with "feeling dead" after exercise.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Simone, JaneL, Barry and 1 other person like this.
  19. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Beautiful day' s book explored haplotype gene associations. Interesting stuff ( my aunt is a J)

20. Jonathan Edwards

Only when it gets in the room.