1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Revising a diagnosis of functional neurological disorder—a case report, 2020, Berry and Weithoff

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, May 4, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ABSTRACT

We report a case of a 62-year-old female diagnosed with functional neurological disorder (FND), where the diagnosis was eventually revised to progressive supranuclear palsy 3 years after symptom onset. FND is a commonly encountered condition and can be diagnosed with a considerable degree of confidence in most cases. FND is associated with significant functional impairment and may occur alongside other neurological disorders, and there is now a growing evidence base for symptom-specific FND treatments. Charting clinical progression of symptoms and serial neuroimaging were useful in refining the diagnosis in this case. Alhough the diagnosis was ultimately revised to a neurodegenerative disorder, a degree of functional overlay likely remained present. The case highlights the importance of recognizing and avoiding diagnostic overshadowing in those with FND.

Open access, https://academic.oup.com/omcr/article/2020/9/omaa073/5909755

Woolie, DokaGirl, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Right.

Gradzy, JoanneS, EzzieD and 27 others like this.
  3. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Er no, not really.

Maybe the patient was a bit upset and less than impressed by the medical and diagnostic service they had been through. Blame the patient for some "overlay" whatever that might be.

Perhaps some humility regarding the difficulties with diagnosing neuro degenerative diseases would be in order

Not much evidence of that though:
    Nope it's looking more likely this is yet more evidence for the uselessness / pointlessness of the FND diagnosis / label. For patients anyway. It seems to be psychologically needed by some neurologists.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2021
    Gradzy, JoanneS, EzzieD and 28 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a good friend whose mother was in the terrifying situation of being misdiagnosed when she really had PSP.
    PSP is terrifying enough in itself in that it alters thoughts in such a way that the sufferer is likely to have great trouble establishing insight into their own state anyway.

Her daughter realised that something was wrong and gave up a highly successful career in the arts to look after her mother. After her mother died of PSP the daughter retrained to be a doctor.

EzzieD, Sid, Woolie and 16 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The misdiagnosis in this case was picked up because a neurodegenerative disease becomes hard to miss. It is not so much that misdiagnoses are rare, more that other established diseases can be ignored for years and complex chronic illnesses like ME can be ignored forever.

JoanneS, EzzieD, Sid and 14 others like this.
  6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is impressive that advocates of somaticisation can attempt to spin evidence contradicting their belief system as supporting those beliefs.

The abstract does not say how much of the three years from first symptoms to the correct diagnosis was lost to misdiagnosis, but surely the first take away from this case study should be to ask what is the likely incidence of such misdiagnoses and how active harm resulting from such misdiagnoses can be avoided. This is especially relevant given many advocates for the proliferation of diagnoses such as FND also are actively trying to block medical assessment of these conditions, because they have the unproved belief that actual assessment is harmful in that it reinforces presumed patient false beliefs.

Gradzy, EzzieD, Mithriel and 13 others like this.
  7. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

How cool is this "degree of functional overlay", misdiagnosis can never happen and doctors are always right.

8. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite

DokaGirl, Sean and NelliePledge like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Falsification? We don't need no steenking falsification.

rvallee, Cheshire, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That high diagnostic stability isn't something to crow about when even progressive supranuclear palsy doesn't change a functional neurological disorder label. I mean, at what point in the next few years is this poor woman allowed to actually be 100% ill, rather than having symptoms that she could not have if only she tried a bit harder and thought about other things?

It's horrendous that this woman and her family have not only had to deal with difficult symptoms in the fairly short time she had left to live after disease onset, but have also had to deal with medical professionals diminishing the reality and seriousness of them. The authors need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Actually, she was not able to work, not unemployed, presenting with 'difficulty keeping her eyes open, and falls'.

This is what the ongoing functional overlay diagnosis is based on: (SALT = speech and language therapy) (bear in mind the cognitive impairment of PSP that could easily affect performance in the more demanding situation of a test)
    This paper really annoyed me. I think it's a good one to have up one's sleeve whenever faced with that statement of the high diagnostic stability of FND diagnoses.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  11. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That makes me embarrassed to be an SLT.... 1/ doing worse during testing isn’t a sign of a functional overlay, just doing worse when stressed, or when concentrating on something, and what makes the SLT think that they can diagnose a functional overlay???
    Seems like the SLT didn’t know much about PSP to me. :banghead:

12. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Ahh, don't be too hard on your profession, @Daisybell, @Peter Trewhitt. Bullshit knows no disciplinary bounds. I'm from Psychology, and look at how many of my colleagues are up to their necks in it.

Psychology, psychiatry, physiotherapy, speech-language pathology, social work, general medical practice, neurology, etc. No discipline can claim immunity. I think the BPS narrative has a powerful pull on people who want to help, who believe in their profession and who don't like to feel impotent. It promises a way out of that predicament.

oldtimer, Michelle, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  14. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Every time they get a diagnosis monstrously wrong they say this. "Oh well we may have missed a deadly neurodegenerative disease but in our defence the patient is still crazy."

oldtimer, Michelle, Hutan and 15 others like this.
  15. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I'm actually SO ANGRY about this case report. How did it ever get published? How can you possibly argue that someone with PSP, a degenerative disorder with significant neuropsychiatric features, has "functional overlay"? What would this even look like? Why can't these people fully admit that they made a horrible mistake and warn others accordingly? Why can they not see that this type of misdiagnosis can cause terrible iatrogenic harm? If its not bad enough that you're slowly losing your mind, you've got people telling you that you can't get better because you're "resistant" to the diagnosis. You can't confront your psychological issues.

Why can these people not see that FND is NOT a proper diagnosis. Its a way to explain away unexplainable sets of features! Wave the magic "it must be psychological" wand and all the clinician's problems are solved? ("Ah, but then those patients are just so resistant to the truth, aren't they? But hell, that's not our problem!"). Psychology is not your wastebasket, folks, where you can dump all your problems, somewhere you can go without needing to make a proper argument to justify.

PSP is horrible. It presents in so many different ways. Sometimes presents as severe apathy, hence the withdrawal from social activities, which this lady had (so no, its NOT a sign of "functional overlay"). Other times it looks a bit "frontal" (disinhibited), and affect can seem flat and sort of "off". Easy to misinterpret that as some sort of emotional problem (which it is, just not the kind they're thinking). Speech can be sparse and nonfluent, sometimes "adynamic" (they respond but don't initiate new topics), so can give the impression of depression. Enough in there to satisfy any true FND believer, case closed.

Looking at the case, I'm guessing the person was from a low socioeconomic background, and this group seem to be particularly at risk of being lumped with an FND diagnosis. Maybe they don't have the confidence or resources to fight back. Or maybe they just don't act the way our white middle class clinician expects a sick person to act.

I notice the authors' institutional affiliations:

Institute of Neurology, University College London
    Division of Psychiatry, University College London

Steeped in the stuff.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Michelle, oldtimer, Hutan and 16 others like this.
  16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Wot Woolie sed.

17. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Sorry, just can't let this go. "Refining" they say. "Refining"! What a bald faced lie.

Michelle, oldtimer, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

When I came across this publication, I was somewhat worried that my assessment of it, "we gave the wrong diagnosis, then found the right diagnosis, but we were right all along anyway for (dubious) reasons" was somehow missing the point. Given the responses from others, I'm feeling more confident that I got it right in the first place, as well as angry that this sort of thing goes on.

Woolie, Michelle, oldtimer and 12 others like this.
  19. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This shows to me how entrenched the ‘functional’ view is in ORL for people with voice disorders. SLTs who only see voice disorders dont know what to make of the neurological signs and so they ‘diagnose’ according to their expectations rather than what is actually being presented.
    When I was working as an SLT, I saw a wide variety of neurological conditions as well as seeing voice patients. I sometimes picked up Parkinson’s, PSP and MND where the referrer hadn’t because I had seen those features before...
    But any decent clinician should be able to say “I dont know...”

JoanneS, Woolie, Michelle and 17 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gentlemen, you can't do science in here. This is the science room!