1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Review of systematic reviews of non-pharmacological interventions to improve quality of life in cancer survivors (2017) White (no declared COI), Chald

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Esther12, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I only had a very quick look at this, and thought I'd post as it seemed odd that there was no declared COI from White when just a few months earlier Swiss Re were describing his as one of their Chief Medical Officers.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/11/e015860

I first opened it to see how they dealt with potential problems with bias for self-reported quality of life in these nonblinded trials... I didn't see anything about it. Seems that they may have just ignored that one. Didn't see anything on objective outcomes either, but I really did just skim through a lot of the paragraphs.

There was this in possible reporting bias:

Didn't seem to stop them being confident in their own conclusion though:

Scarecrow, Viola, Dolphin and 11 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I think this review of systematic reviews needs to be reviewed.

Esther12, Viola, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  3. Revel

Revel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Conclusions
    Systematic reviews of patients with cancer and their QoL showed that effective interventions included physical activity, CBT and mindfulness-based stress reduction training."

The conclusions drawn appear to be the panacea for all ills - or is White simply a 'one trick pony'? :emoji_horse:

OK, so I was looking for an excuse to use the equine emoji, guilty as charged . . .