1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Response to Michael Sharpe letter, Rowe, 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Robert 1973, cfsandmore, Sid and 27 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Robert 1973, Kitty, Louie41 and 6 others like this.
  3. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

? That letter from the guy at the HRA was full of bullshit, but I don't remember it saying anything like that.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    cfsandmore, Kitty, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  6. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only able to skim ATM so apologies if I can't substantiate my concerns with regard to highlighting Rowe's response to MS.

We have discussed the evidence for similar claims and how to deal with them on this thread (currently members only), see this post. (*)

What @Esther12 quoted from Sharpe's letter is appalling.

Also, Rowe surely is right to criticize Sharpe for his ongoing defense and references to the PACE trial .

When referencing Sharpes' responses, @Tom Kindlon, I just would like to caution against highlighting Rowe's claims about biomedical findings in ME, also about circulatory abnormalities.

If I remember correctly, you'll also find some rigorous criticism about papers on OI and POTS, including papers by Rowe, on the forum.

@Snow Leopard @beverlyhills

(*) Edit: The linked post is not about OI but about the 2-days-CPET findings, so just an example of how results of biomedical research on ME commonly are misinterpreted -- and maybe often by the researchers themselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2021
    Sid, Kitty, Michelle and 1 other person like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This post is in part responding to a discussion on the evidence for orthostatic intolerance in ME/CFS and potential treatments that have been moved to the Orthostatic intolerance thread.

I've not looked into the PoTS work, but respect to Rowe for calling Sharpe out, and prompting another misleading response. A lot of people working in research would not be willing to do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2021
    Starlight, Wyva and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Posts discussing the evidence for orthostatic intolerance in ME/CFS and potential treatments have been moved to the Orthostatic intolerance thread.

Trish likes this.
  9. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very satisfying read, the opponent got blown out. Unfortunately Rowe is guilty of the exact same blind spots as Sharpe when it comes to his own aetiological claims (circulatory/orthostatic).

Peter Trewhitt likes this.