1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Report on 2018 Dysautonomia International Conference

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Sasha, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Sasha

Interesting:

The big news in POTS has been the discovery of autoantibodies that are whacking a receptor (adrenergic-1 receptor) in the legs that causes the veins in our legs to narrow or vasconstrict as we stand. The knock on the past autoantibody POTS studies has been their size, but Grubb reported that a much larger antibody study (75 patients) found that no less that 92% of POTS patients had autoantibodies which were attacking that receptor, and other autoantibodies were elevated as well. There will be more on this study and its implications in the second blog.

POTS is looking more and more like an autoimmune disorder.

Grubb said he’d suspected autoimmunity in POTS all along but the testing used to be too expensive. It’s still expensive, but a lot less than it used to be.

The autoimmune finding looks like it’s going to redefine at least a very large subset of POTS patients and possibly the disease itself. Not only that, but it’s affecting other fields as well. Taking a clue from the POTS findings, Dr. Scheibenbogen found evidence of autoimmunity in about 40% of ME/CFS patients. Reports from the ME/CFS Montreal Conference suggest that a follow-up study from another lab is getting similar results.​

3. Sasha

Skycloud, Inara and adambeyoncelowe like this.