1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

RCPCH conference 2019 abstract: Tea and cake: an opportunity for young people and their parents/guardians to eat cake and share ideas, Bashton et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Trish, May 18, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Tea and cake: an opportunity for young people and their parents/guardians to eat cake and share ideas

For more on the conference see this thread:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/me-cf...cs-and-child-health-conference-may-2019.9555/

2. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Typo also in this title @Trish, 2109?

Unless 2109 refers to something I don't know about.

MSEsperanza, NelliePledge and Andy like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Thanks, I seem to be living either in the past or the future. At least I didn't put 1019 this time!
    I'll correct it.

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What kind of cake? I need some evidence-based cake!!!!!

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So it would seem that strongly advising ME patients against joining support groups was a bad idea. The positive comments are clearly aligned on the rare opportunity to socialize with peers and not related to any therapeutic effect. Forced social isolation is a bad idea, who knew?

As usual, take the recommendations from the psychosocial model and do the opposite for best results.

6. Snow Leopard

Are you saying the cake is a lie!?!

7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They will probably be unable to entice David Amess to attend, with an offer like that.

8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Didn't we already know that some people like to sit around eating cake whilst 'chatting', and that, because they like it, it may make them feel better, more positive?

Didn't we know this before we invented cake? Certainly before we invented psychologists.

I mean, really, people turned up, they didn't kill anyone important and apparently enjoyed themselves enough so as to come back, bringing someone else with them (possibly), so it's a good idea to arrange for more cake to be delivered?

This level of thinking is beyond me, even now it's impossible to think so slowly as to be able to understand why allegedly fully functional neurotypical adults don't know this sort of thing, why they feel the need to run a 'study' like this.

This isn't a study, it's a project, it's not aimed at helping people, it's aim is to get someone else to pay for the cake.:nailbiting:

It's the only explanation that makes sense.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  9. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see what you did there. :thumbup:

10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Did they have to bring their own cake in a shopping bag.

Missense, MSEsperanza, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  11. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably not, this study was done in London. Now in Bristol it'd probably be a different matter. ;)

12. Snow Leopard

I think the cake went over my head on this one.

13. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have these folks not heard of carbs and glycolysis?

14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A major drawback of this study is that it is not randomised.

I think at minimum subjects should have been randomised to Dundee, Battenburg, Schwarzforestetorte, and low fat carrot cake. There should also have been a control group with bread and jam and a combination group with both (but only allowed cake after bread and jam as my mother insisted).

I didn't actually know that people still ate cake. I rather assumed that the only people who did were visiting their mum (aged 97).

15. large donner

large donner Guest

You must be lucky enough to get invites from like minded people and share mutual interest conversations rather than the duty bound summonsing to childrens birthday parties and someones boring wedding, stuck on a table with people you have been deliberately trying to avoid for years.

I have to admit to preferring funeral buffet food as it tends to be sandwich, pork pie, and scotch egg based spreads which no ones seems to do anymore in any other setting, preferring to impress with some latest Jamie Oliver fusion crap or some terrible tagine type crap with meat mixed with apricots etc.

Not that I don't like world cuisine but you cant get a curled up egg and crest mini sarny, mucky fat, or sausage rolls outside of a funeral buffet these days. I wonder why that is.

As for the cake, ill have an extra chicken leg for my dessert any day.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  16. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe the food at funerals is supposed to speed along the reunion between living and recently departed?

17. NelliePledge

Chorley, Eccles cakes too also not forgetting Chelsea or BATH buns

2kidswithME, Missense, Trish and 3 others like this.
  18. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Let us bring this thread back to where it belongs. If they serve Jaffa cakes, are they cakes or biscuits.

19. NelliePledge

Don’t go there mate you know it’s a legal mine field

20. Snow Leopard

Blinding might be difficult, I mean it is obvious when you've been randomised to the crap carrot cake group.

Blasphemy!

2kidswithME, Missense and Trish like this.