1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Radiation Model for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Announced by the National CFIDS Foundation 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, May 21, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-the-national-cfids-foundation-300853423.html

makes a change from the 'fear avoidance model'

2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this were true at least some of us would have ended up with superpowers [/sarcasm]

Unfortunately since ME does not give us superpowers i have trouble accepting this as the disease trigger

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You don't have superpowers?

One of mine is the ability to trip over very small objects in my path, that aren't there. I can also turn the air into treacle.

fossil, MEMarge, Tilney and 15 others like this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Can anyone make sense of what data they used to support this model?

I had a quick look at their website and the research section seems to be a literature search for anything connecting radiation exposure to symptoms that appear on any ME definition. For example one paper suggested prolonged low dose exposure among workers led to cognitive symptoms.

I admit I only took a cursory look. Does anyone have the energy to dig further? I couldn't find links to any published research the organisation has funded on radiation in ME.

6. Alvin

Indeed

I have gained the superpower of repeating myself incessantly
    Also i can automatically erase my memory of split second events.

Lisa108, MEMarge, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

adambeyoncelowe and andypants like this.
  8. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I dropped it a long time ago.

MEMarge and andypants like this.
  9. Dudden

Dudden Established Member (Voting Rights)

Well, radiation could certainly be the culprit to some mutations that could have resulted in a few deficiencies, such as CFS. I, however, find this to be irrelevant due to the fact that many would have suffered of CFS in, for instance, Europe, where I live in. That is, yet, not the case for I dont think that 10% of the European population suffer from ME/CFS. Even virus outbreaks in history have most likely resulted in more ME/CFS patients than radiation would have. Only look at the Royal Free Hospital outbreak in the UK and know that my words are true. A radiation or similar chemical processes, rays or substances would have, theoretically, resulted in more than just CFS and countries like Vietnam or Iraq are quite good examples for what the consequences can be. Suggesting radiation as a possible cause of ME/CFS is not a bad idea, but if anyone comes in swinging hypothesis like that than they better have proof. I must say, though, it is certainly better than the fear avoidance hypothesis, which, I assume, is a hypothesis that suggests a psychological contribution to ME/CFS.

MEMarge, MeSci and andypants like this.
  10. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is also the Chornobyl accident just outside of Kyiv in Ukraine. Wouldn't there be lots of ME as a result? From what I know there are lots and lots of cancers.

The article does mention the nuclear accident, but with a vague reference to folks getting chronic fatigue syndrome. NO statistics are given.

MEMarge likes this.
  11. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately the Psycho brigade have already jumped in.......

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11873498

Amw66 likes this.
  12. Dudden

Dudden Established Member (Voting Rights)

13. lansbergen

Don't think it is.

MEMarge, adambeyoncelowe and rvallee like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can't reason people out of positions they didn't reason themselves into. Turns out medical professionals are just as gullible and prone to bias about their own profession as any of us are. In some cases even more so.

It's really sobering, and explains a lot about why medicine still has huge blind spots where millions of lives get ruined.

15. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No. I was making the point that if we are going to try and connect the Chernobyl disaster and ME/CFS the Psychiatrists are ready with a rebuttal by claiming it is psychosomatic, it's what they do, reject any associations by claiming it's just psychosomatic.

16. lansbergen

The cloud went to Sweden If you are not old enough to have watched it you can dig in the news of that time.

MEMarge likes this.
  17. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Armed Forces Radiobiology Unit, Bethesda, eh? First it was Fort Detrick, Frederick, Maryland. Now this. There is a pattern

MEMarge likes this.
  18. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thing is, if you’re going to propose radiation, vaccines, or unspecified ‘chemicals’ then you’d better have some damn good data to back it up, otherwise you’re not going to exactly dispel the myth that we’re all delusional.

19. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh God, I’ve dug into the hypothesis a bit more and have fallen down the biophoton rabbit hole. Send help.

Lisa108, MEMarge, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  20. Alvin

If someone has radiation induced symptoms then they have radiation sickness and not ME. Unless we are now thinking that people with viral triggers had radioactive viral triggers.
    We don't say someone who has a cough automatically has COPD, they might but if they have allergies, asthma, pneumonia and so on we would identify what they really have.
    A symptom is not a disease.

I love this. Hope you don't mind if i steal it