1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Positive and negative affect mediate the ... relationship between emotional processing and symptom severity ... in IBS, 2018, Moss-Morris et al.

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Positive and negative affect mediate the bidirectional relationship between emotional processing and symptom severity and impact in irritable bowel syndrome

"
    Abstract

Introduction
    Individuals with IBS report higher levels of psychological distress compared to healthy controls. Distress has been associated with emotional processing difficulties but studies have not explored how the relationship between distress and emotional processing affects IBS. There is little research on the role of positive affect (PA) in IBS."

eta:http://www.jpsychores.com/article/S0022-3999(17)30919-4/fulltext

No idea what they are trying to 'prove' here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2021
    Allele, ladycatlover, Inara and 4 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It may not be worth much but do you have the link?

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Allele, Inara and 3 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think they are trying to prove that their wages are worth paying....

....and I reckon we all have our opinions on that!

Allele, ladycatlover, Joh and 8 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Can't and don't want to access the full paper. I can see it's crap from the abstract. Entirely based on the assumption that IBS is a psychosomatic condition, hence publication in that lurid pink journal.

Here's how they summarise it:

Had to look up 'positive affect'. Here's what my friend the internet told me:

My translation of this paper:

We think IBS is a psychosomatic condition, which is great because it provides more work for us, and we can mess with lots more people's heads and tell them if they think happy thoughts their IBS will improve, although it might be the IBS that's making them unhappy in the first place, we don't really know what we're talking about, but when did that ever stop us pontificating.

Allele, Greebo, ladycatlover and 18 others like this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dunno about anyone else but.........

7. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who doesn't enjoy a good bout of being stuffed up followed by a bout of pissing out your arse. For a lot of people that's just christmas i.e. the happiest time of the year.

Allele, Greebo, ladycatlover and 15 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Well, you do make it sound more appealing than it actually is.. ;)

9. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or expanding their market?

Allele, ladycatlover, Inara and 5 others like this.
  10. Sue

Sue Established Member (Voting Rights)

My “ ibs” went into a brief remission after Xiafaxamin. It came back. After leaving my moldy house and possessions behind I no longer have “ ibs” . I had ibs for about 30 years. I think in my case it is sensitivity to my environment nothing to do with emotional issues which was rammed down my throat.

11. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I should go into psychology, err marketing.

ladycatlover, Inara, Allele and 5 others like this.
  12. large donner

large donner Guest

If we can just refer to all symptoms of any physical illness as psychological distress then all conditions are psychological and not physical.

To these idiots the word symptom does not exist so it makes one wonder what they think of any presentation of any illness.

Is throwing up from food poisoning "psychological distress"?
    Is shouting out when someones kicks you on the shin "psychological distress"?
    Is bleeding from a cut "psychological distress"?
    When a boxer gets knocked out by a punch to the head is that psychological distress"?

Saying ouch to pain is "psychological distress" therefore the cause of the pain is saying ouch after the pain occurred.

I really wonder if these idiots really understand the meaning of the word symptoms or they just pretend they dont.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  13. Agapanthus

Agapanthus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My translation of the paper:

Shit happens.

Inara, Greebo, ladycatlover and 10 others like this.
  14. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

......Eventually

ladycatlover, Skycloud, Inara and 9 others like this.
  15. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All this babble und bubble is so annyoing...I really do hope that someday their card house breaks down.

Allele, EzzieD, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  16. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Preferably before they reach retirement age so they can be SACKED and have to fight their way through the convoluted UK benefits system! :emoji_imp: :emoji_japanese_goblin: :emoji_japanese_ogre: :emoji_smiling_imp: :emoji_rage:

Plus sued as well for telling porkie pies about sick people. :emoji_skull: :emoji_ghost: :emoji_scream:

17. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure of the protocols here but I didn't want to start a new thread with this because it's just more of the same faulty thinking approach - and it might have already been posted, although I can't see it anywhere. It is a report from the World Congress of Gastroenterology, October 2017.

The new twist is that "four 1-hour sessions of internet-based, self-administered therapy" seem to work better for IBS than "10 sessions of standard psychiatrist- or psychologist-led therapy, or four sessions of education only ... These findings — which received an American College of Gastroenterology Governors Award for Excellence in Clinical Research — suggest that home-based treatments could be used to relieve chronic constipation, diarrhea, bloating, gas, and other IBS symptoms in more patients without increasing clinician time or the use of healthcare resources."

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticl...&uac=69945CY&spon=17&impID=1540949&faf=1#vp_1

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  18. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@oldtimer

I struggled to read your link because it just struck me as being psychobabble of the highest order (as you suggested).

But one thing did come across to me.

The less the patients saw therapists the happier they were. Now that I can really believe!

19. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh::laugh:
    Your sleep problems don't affect your wit!