1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Prevalence of post-concussion-like symptoms in the general population in Italy, The Netherlands and the United Kingdom, 2019, Voormolen et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, May 4, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access at https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02699052.2019.1607557

The authors claim they are looking at post-concussion syndrome yet
    So when they report that
    from this list of symptoms
    I expect that they are re-labelling people who have an assortment of conditions, including ME.

Cheshire, rvallee, Esther12 and 8 others like this.
  2. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I beg your pardon? Is this right? They looked at post concussion problems without knowing (or even asking) if people had a concussion prior to symptoms? Can this be correct? I think I don't get the sense of the study...
    After re-reading "objectives" I am not sure if the study makes sense.

Wouldn't a PCS questionnaire only make sense in people who've had a concussion prior to symptoms? Or are people using a PCS questionnaire to decide whether a person has had a concussion prior to symptoms and the study wants to show that's not a good way to do it? (Surprise surprise!) I don't think the study can conclude this though?

Amw66, Cheshire, Lisa108 and 3 others like this.
  3. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

concussion is also, when quite beaten around the head by parent ? i would think.

another thing i wonder:
    can this concussion/trauma effect also be applied to the lungs ? (e.g. near-drowning-experience ...) ?
    or other organs even ?

4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In this post https://www.s4me.info/threads/the-me-show-series-two.7873/page-5#post-155154 Dr. Nina Muirhead says that her experience of ME's cognitive issues is akin to concussion ...
    Dr. Muirhead has ME and is a Dr. and surgeon, so is presumably very well qualified to make that statement. And it does strongly suggest that pwME (and maybe people with other conditions also) can experience concussion-like symptoms; something that is well worth knowing. But for the survey done for this paper, it sounds like many people will not be at all qualified to make that observation, and could just muddy the waters.

Amw66, rvallee, NelliePledge and 3 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I note that some 'emotional/behavioural symptoms' have been included. This is taking the description of concussion in a different direction which is not what (as I understand it) neurologists would test/be looking for.

see my post here from a while ago.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/patie...aise-2018-jason-et-al.5130/page-2#post-118670

the symptoms

rvallee, Inara and Andy like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doesn't every study these days have to include a mention of symptoms that are potentially of interest in mental health? These are the gateway symptoms that allow doctors to ignore everything else the patient complains of and say that the patient is mentally ill and needs CBT and then should be discharged.

Inara likes this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I am reading this correctly they gave people a questionnaire which is used to document symptoms after you have had a concussion. If someone had more than a few positive answers this was taken as post concussion being common in the community.:banghead:

I really wonder about education today. How could someone come up with this research, someone pay for it and then someone publish it?

If you go to any shop in the country and ask the staff if they feel fatigue most of them will say "yes". Most people feel more fatigued than they would like.

To give them the benefit of the doubt maybe they are trying to say that concussion is a physical insult to the brain so all these symptoms must be caused by physical problems not thoughts so FND is rubbish ... nah, I don't think so either

Andy, Arnie Pye, Inara and 1 other person like this.
  8. Inara

I had two concussions, one moderate-severe as a child and one mild-moderate when I already had ME (it accelerated the disease profoundly; but of course the concussion was tension headache, according to one doctor to whom I went then :rolleyes: I didn't rest enough - which was a HUGE error in hindsight, although I should have known better from the previous one, and since it was "really" tension headache I wasn't told to rest, but was prescribed massages). I think the comparison between both is not that bad, especially when the "acute" phase of concussion is over (e.g. the heavy tiredness that leads to unconsciousness has resolved - I don't have unconscious-like tiredness like that on a daily basis as part of ME). But I think everybody is different and will experience symptoms slightly different, and then there's severity, so some will relate to this comparison and some won't.

Andy likes this.
  9. Inara

I don't know PCS and if emotional symptoms are actually part of it, I just know that during the acute phase of concussion you simply have no resources for emotions or whatever; but to be fair that was just my experience. I was really knocked out, the first time unconscious for one or two days (in hospital), the second for 10 hours or so. This heavy unconscious-like tiredness set in after a few hours, and then that's it.

Andy likes this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh, no. What it indicates is that the definition that they used is invalid because it creates an enormous amount of false positives.

Rejecting reality and substituting their own is the name of the game. Complete waste of funding and resources, yet again.

Inara, Trish and Andy like this.