1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

NYD-N? Please spell out this acronym I’ve never heard of it.

2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'Not Yet Diagnosed, Nervous'. Originally used as a code by doctors to describe symptoms of shellshock.

Edit: in a pejorative way. If there were no physical wounds, it was often dismissed and veterans were not entitled to the recognition and pensions they'd have got if they'd been injured by a bomb or bullet.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Joh, Frankie, Woolie and 10 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But the officers would be diagnosed with neurasthenia. And we have been told by eminent authority that effort syndrome was merely a form of neurasthenia. And the work of those studying effort syndrome was promoted as having been about PVFS or CFS.

alktipping, MEMarge, JemPD and 5 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Frankie, MEMarge, Michelle and 11 others like this.
  5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is deeply chilling to look back on the calculated cruelty inflicted on WWI soldiers when society decided it couldn't afford for so many to be ill or disabled – so it gaslighted them, as well as physically torturing them with 'therapies' – and what happened when society decided it couldn't afford to support people with a range of chronic illnesses.

I supposed we should be grateful that modern attitudes are much more sympathetic, so at least we're not shot as cowards.

Sid, alktipping, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

It’s going to be interesting to see how these long Covid folks react when they realise how lightweight this NHS app thing is going to be. And I doubt the rehabilitation service is going to offer that much. See CFS clinics.

Hutan, alktipping, MEMarge and 15 others like this.
  9. rvallee

Was just about to post that! Good interview. Straight on the topic of ME. Worth watching.

It's getting really bizarre to have this acknowledgement and talking about the upcoming NHS service without mentioning the fact that as far as the NHS is concerned, ME is a trivial psychological condition of temporary inconvenience that anyone can simply get over with happy thoughts and exercise. Even though Dr Jarvis was pretty spot on in how she described PEM, though without naming it. And advised pacing, which the NHS technically advises against as driving the primary delusion.

But I think the cat's out of the bag and is not going back in. There will be an adjustment going from "it's all your head" to "well, oops, let's move on, then" but there is no wind left in the lie that ME is a psychological condition. And then there's the doctors and nurses. Bound to be a few former strong skeptics in there. The narrative of a small vocal minority of borderline terrorists / antivaxxer-like is about to get a bit more complicated.

Anna H, Frankie, Chezboo and 16 others like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Good interview.

"But you never know on any given day what is going to be too much [activity]."

Especially early on when learning about it all.

Anna H, Frankie, Sid and 20 others like this.
  11. Kalliope

12. rvallee

Sick for over 100 days, COVID-19 patients want more help to cope with disease's 'long-haul' effects

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...pe-with-disease-s-long-haul-effects-1.5647886

Bit silly that Moreau's research proposal doesn't get funded but whatever, I guess we can chalk up this silliness under "medical research" things.

13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this common knowledge? I don't recall hearing about it before.

alktipping likes this.
  14. rvallee

@ScottTriGuy mentioned it a while ago, not really made public.

The proposal rated well but the government only funded the top 1%, I think, and it just came short. There should have been exceptions for targeted programs but having a strategy based on meeting specific needs and medical research are apparently mutually exclusive concepts, gotta be maximum random.

15. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Kalliope

The Norwegian Institute of Public Health declares an estimation of 96% recovery in Norway among people with covid-19. They define recovery as being alive and not hospitalised 14 days after having tested positive for covid-19.

Joh, Sid, Woolie and 15 others like this.
  17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So their definition of recovery is even more nonsensical than in PACE.

18. chrisb

Who would have guessed thy set the bar so high? Is there almost 100% recovery from ME in Norway?

19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be fair, in terms of Covid-19, “recovery” seems to been used in lots of countries in this way.

20. chrisb

Is the corollary of this that, if you were not admitted to hospital, you were never ill in the first place?

Anna H, Sid, NelliePledge and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.