1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Polyallergy (multiple chemical sensitivity) is associated with excessive healthcare utilization, greater psychotropic use, and greater mental health/f

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Dolphin, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0033318218304183

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So...people who are sicker use healthcare more and take more drugs than those who are less sick? And somehow they are sicker because they use healthcare more and take more drugs rather than, as most people would think, the other way round?

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've only read the abstract but I can't see that the conclusion follows from the results unless you have a preconceived idea of cause and effect.

My conclusion from that information is that it looks likely that the patients with multiple allergies are being misdiagnosed as having functional disorders, probably on the basis of having multiple intractable symptoms and being female; mis-prescribed psychotropic drugs because the doctors have misdiagnosed them; and keep having to go back to the doctor because they are not recovering. The opposite of what the authors conclude.

4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

High healtcare utilization is due to lack of effective treatment.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Yessica, Keebird, Sean and 10 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So many papers mixing up cause and effect entirely in ways that defy disbelief. Like the psychosocial ideologues puzzling over why sick people think they are sick, as if it were some deep mystery.

I'm getting a sense that Occam's razor is not a prominent of medical school curriculum.

Yessica, Art Vandelay, Samuel and 5 others like this.
  6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder who decides that patients with MCS need more psychotropic drugs. I'm guessing it is the doctors, not the patients. :grumpy:

Yessica, Inara, rvallee and 3 others like this.