1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Physical Activity, Fitness Level, Kinesiophobia, and Health-Related QoL in Patients with Rheumatic & Musculoskeletal Diseases, 2021, Courbalay et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Direct and Indirect Relationships Between Physical Activity, Fitness Level, Kinesiophobia, and Health-Related Quality of Life in Patients with Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases: A Network Analysis

Introduction: Using a network analysis, the present study investigated the extent to which physical activity (PA), objective fitness level, kinesiophobia, and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) interact in patients with rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases. The objectives were twofold: 1) to clarify the direct and indirect relationships between these variables while controlling for the shared variance between them, and 2) to establish a potential ranking of influence among them.

Methods: This cross-sectional design study involved patients recruited from a rheumatology unit. One hundred and twenty patients completed self-reported measures of PA, the Tampa scale of kinesiophobia and the 36-item Short-Form Health Survey, and ninety-seven of those patients performed the six-minute walking test and the thirty-second sit-to-stand test. Network analyses were conducted using bootnet and qgraph packages.

Results: Weekly time spent on PA, as well as physical fitness measures, were directly linked to kinesiophobia and the HRQoL physical dimension, but indirectly linked to HRQoL mental dimension through the mediation of kinesiophobia. Specifically, weekly PA time had direct relationships to physical functioning, vitality, and role limitations due to physical and emotional problems. Fitness measures had direct relationships with physical functioning, bodily pain, and mental health. The analyses did not clearly highlight one variable as the most influential in the network.

Discussion: The study highlights the complexities of direct and indirect biopsychosocial relationships that are at the core of patients’ daily functioning. Measurement of PA, use of a longitudinal design, and interventions are discussed.

Open access, https://www.dovepress.com/direct-an...fitness-le-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-JPR

Ash and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have only committed to a regular reading program of these study updates since this morning or perhaps yesterday I can’t remember. I shall be retiring early from this program. For personal reasons.

I can be fairly confident that no matter the ailment or intervention the conclusion will without fail highlight
    “complexity”.

I guess these issues must be very complex? Or just rather too complex for the understanding of these researchers?

alktipping and Trish like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Translation: We don't understand, and won't admit it.

rvallee, Trish, Ash and 1 other person like this.
  4. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is not science. Absolutely not.

rvallee, Trish, Ash and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The usual tangle of words but kinesiophobia is directly connected to how much physical activity you do when kinesiophobia is diagnosed by not doing physical activity?

People who do a lot of activity feel better, but it could also be that feeling better lets you do more physical activity but they don't seem to have thought of that.

if I have completely misunderstood maybe they should try to be clearer in their language.