1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Petition: End assessments and consider disability benefit claims on medical advice alone

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Sly Saint, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DokaGirl likes this.
  2. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh hell no that is a terrible idea given the state of medicine! There are far too many debilitating diseases that medicine is busy denying exist for that to remotely work.

Simbindi, Keela Too, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree. This would only be a good solution if we could count on medical staff to give an accurate picture of illness/disability. I suspect the person who started this petition does not live with a 'contested' illness.

Simbindi, Keela Too, Wits_End and 7 others like this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This'd be the same 'medical staff' that post on reddit and other places openly giving their real opinions as to patients and medical conditions, which are often at best dismissive and at variance with our reality?

These same people, who apparently despise us, should decide if we live or die?

As opposed to other people who despise us, the DWP and their agents?

It'd be nice, for decisions that affect me, to not be made by those who despise me, but that's possibly far too radical an idea to float.

Simbindi, Wits_End, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The old DLA system worked like that, at least where I lived. Both my assessments were done by a lovely retired GP who was selected because knew about ME. He was sharp and funny, too, so rather than being an extremely stressful hour, it had its entertaining moments. Second time around, when I knew it was going to be him again, I didn't even feel nervous about it; I knew he'd ask the right questions, and he did. By the time my first award ran out I'd got worse rather better, so he recommended I was given a lifetime award. And I was.

Nice fella as he was, I don't think he'd have been at all easy to play by someone trying to get support they weren't entitled to. He gave the impression he was listening carefully to make sure the picture I was giving added up, and when he felt it did, he was supportive. Which is how it always would be, in a world that made any sense.

Simbindi, Wits_End, bobbler and 8 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DWP confirms PIP process may be made easier for severely disabled and assessments scrapped
    DWP confirms PIP process may be made easier for severely disabled and assessments scrapped (msn.com)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2023
    Sean, Simbindi, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  7. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would be similar to what the US does for people claiming Social Security Disability Insurance. You don't see a doctor from Social Security unless your medical records are spotty.

Trish likes this.