1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Persistent Physical Symptoms as Perceptual Dysregulation: A Neuropsychobehavioral Model and Its Clinical Implications, 2018, Henningsen et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Probably a load of meaningless psychobabble but I'm posting in case it's of use to anybody interested in this side of things.
    Paywall, https://journals.lww.com/psychosoma...istent_Physical_Symptoms_as_Perceptual.4.aspx
    Sci Hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1097/PSY.0000000000000588

Medfeb, shak8, andypants and 3 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the same off the peg magpie approach that Mark Edwards has used. Predictive coding is trendy, biopsycho is trendy, let's have predictive coding biopsycho.

But when I went through Mark Edwards's model the problem was that it gave the opposite prediction to the one he claimed it did. The prediction error model does not work. If you are predicting pain and feel pain then it should be less painful, not more painful. The people with severe pain should be the ones never expecting it.

When I recently wrote a chapter on the modern implications of Descartes's analysis I initially thought I might have a final section exploring ME because it seemed to me that this was an important practical implication of understanding Descartes properly. I cut it out because I did not think I could do justice to the complexity of the ME case within an essay on Descartes. I was also unsure that I had my thoughts clearly enough organised. Maybe it is time to address this in a different essay. The only problem is where on earth would one get it published. The only place I can think of that used to do anything similar in reasonable depth was New York Review of Books. But even that seems to have slipped into cliché.

I am beginning to think that there is a much better neurobiological model to consider, relating to inability to clear sensory input after processing - particularly during sleep. Maybe there is a single underlying signalling mechanism that also leads to an inability to clear immune signals after processing - inability of the immune system to forget a virus, sort of.

Starlight, TrixieStix, shak8 and 14 others like this.
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How very intriguing... I know nothing about signalling, but it sounds like it would fit with my experience. I hope you'll explore that idea further.

4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pain is a highly evolved survival mechanism. If you are experiencing pain, you do pay attention and you are meant to pay attention, and your brain will try to find the reason for the pain.

Whatever they are cooking up here, it will be useless clinically for those with severe pain, as well as a demeaning put-down.

Simplistic models of the brain are, well, simplistic.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    andypants, voner, Cheshire and 5 others like this.