1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Persistent Exertional Intolerance after COVID-19: Insights from Invasive Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing, 2021, Singh, Systrom et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Background
    Some Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) patients who have recovered from their acute infection after experiencing only mild symptoms continue to exhibit persistent exertional limitation that is often unexplained by conventional investigative studies.

Research question
    What is the patho-physiological mechanism of exercise intolerance that underlies the post-COVID-19 long haul syndrome following COVID-19 in patients without cardio-pulmonary disease?

Study Design and Methods

This study examined the systemic and pulmonary hemodynamics, ventilation, and gas exchange in 10 post-COVID-19 patients without cardio-pulmonary disease during invasive cardiopulmonary exercise testing (iCPET) and compared the results to 10 age- and sex matched controls. These data were then used to define potential reasons for exertional limitation in the post-COVID-19 cohort.

Results

Post-COVID-19 patients exhibited markedly reduced peak exercise aerobic capacity (VO2) compared to controls (70±11%predicted vs. 131±45%predicted; p<0.0001). This reduction in peak VO2 was associated with impaired systemic oxygen extraction (i.e., narrow CaVO2/CaO2) compared to controls (0.49±0.1 vs. 0.78±0.1, p<0.0001) despite a preserved peak cardiac index (7.8±3.1 vs. 8.4±2.3 L/min, p>0.05). Additionally, post-COVID-19 patients demonstrated greater ventilatory inefficiency (i.e., abnormal VE/VCO2 slope: 35±5 vs. 27±5, p=0.01) compared to controls without an increase in dead space ventilation.

Interpretation

Post-COVID-19 patients without cardiopulmonary disease demonstrate a marked reduction in peak VO2 from a peripheral rather than a central cardiac limit along with an exaggerated hyper-ventilatory response during exercise.

Open access, https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(21)03635-7/fulltext

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does this suggest distributed vascular damage? That would fit with Covid bloodclot issues.

DokaGirl, hinterland, Sean and 6 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was thinking more the deranged muscle vasodilation / vasoconstriction as per Wirth and Sheinbenbogen (2021), which could impair the peripheral VO2 limit.

Not sure how relevant/valid, but when I looked back at my estimated VO2max per Apple Watch 6, it looks like this. I got sick initially mid Dec-mid Jan.

IMG_8472.PNG

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I was wondering how an Apple Watch estimated Vo2, and found this
    https://www.apple.com/healthcare/do...h_to_Estimate_Cardio_Fitness_with_VO2_max.pdf

That's quite a large potential drop in Vo2max in a short time that is seen in normal people in response to reduced activity. There are a couple of references for that - I haven't looked to see how much less active you have to be to get that drop.

So, it looks like it is based on how much faster the heart beats in response to physical activity. There's more detail there in that document - I haven't read it.

When I have PEM, just sitting on the couch makes my heart beat fast, let alone washing the dishes. @SNT Gatchaman, is the estimate available at the daily level?

Ash, alktipping, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you - that's reassuring. My graph then likely reflects both my reduced activity and higher baseline heart rate (POTS). My resting heart rate has gone from a lifelong (though probably flattering) 48-52 to 65. If just standing now increases it to 100, even modest exercise is likely to be similarly higher than my year-ago normal.

No it doesn't offer them daily, only when working out. Working out could be a brisk walk, but that has been off the table for a couple of months now. I think the slope in my graph reflects the incremental reduction in my activities as my illness took effect in these initial months: first stopping going to the gym, then riding my bike only once a week, then not at all...

Probably the estimated VO2max from wearables is of limited value in this context. I imagine their benefit is more in showing an improvement with exercise in normal but unfit people. Those with some form of developing disease are probably going to recognise symptomatic limitations before the watch highlights it.

7. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

My "cardio fitness" on my Fitbit, which also relies on vo2 and heart rate, usually increased when I crash and am less active... It also increases in the follicular phase of my period, and a metabolomics analysis of women in different parts of their period showed a change in arginin concentration - arginin is an amino acid that can influence vasodilation (however, I have no idea if the differences seen between the various phases of the cycle were clinically relevant).

Also, with these watches, will the algorithms work properly for people in ill health?

When in PEM my heart rate can be 80-90 even if I lie with my feet elevated (outside of PEM this makes it decrease, often to 55-60). I often get "air hunger" when in PEM, but that symptom has not correlated well with when my heart rate is high.

Simbindi, Ash, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  8. Hutan

In response to authors of other studies concluding that the Long Covid people are just deconditioned:
    EO2 = systemic oxygen extraction
    CO = cardiac output

9. alex3619

Any simple algorithm relying on heart rate is assuming normal heart rate regulation. In OI, either POTS or NMH, heart rate can be different, and so throw the algorithm off. I am much less sure about the new type of OI found in us. We still know almost nothing about it.

10. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad they included this.
    Exactly.

11. Hutan

What's that, Alex?

Mentions ME/CFS:
    Reference 29 Insights from Invasive Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing of Patients with ME/CFS, 2021, Joseph et al

12. alex3619

There was a report a year or two ago following a new type of brain scan. Our brain blood pressure can be lower than our peripheral blood pressure. I do not recall other details, and have only seen this once. It may be wrong, but it may explain why some of us seem fine on a tilt table test yet have all the symptoms.

Simbindi, Hutan, Ash and 5 others like this.
  13. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Drops of 27% in 3 weeks can only occur in highly trained athletes, not people within a standard deviation of the mean.
    It is important not to compare apples to oranges, a point which seems to have escaped those authors.
    Note that reference 26 is a 1968 editorial which doesn't present primary data. Reference 25 demonstrated a 7% drop in two weeks in "healthy young men" which doesn't support the claim either.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    Philipp, Simbindi, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  14. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These devices have no meaningful way of knowing much about a person's cardiovascular fitness anyway, as you've said many a time. They have some idea how much the wearer exercises, and limited information about their resting heart rate and response to activity, but that's all.

I think my 'excellent cardio fitness' – I'm apparently in the top 10% of women in my age group – is based entirely on my normal BMI, our family's tendency to bradycardia, and the fact that a wrist-worn device can't measure heart rate accurately in water and swimming is the only form of exercise I can do.

It's good at recording how many laps I've swum and how fast, which is useful because reduced swimming speed is a good sign that my energy levels are lower than I realised (I suspect technique drops off in quite subtle ways), but I mostly ignore the rest.

15. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was it one of these (my selection of interesting OI studies) @alex3619 ?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2467981X20300044

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnins.2020.00688/full

(Unlikely to be this one. Very recent)
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-89834-9

16. alex3619

Yes, this one:
    Cerebral blood flow is reduced in ME/CFS during head-up tilt testing even in the absence of hypotension or tachycardia: A quantitative, controlled study using Doppler echography

17. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was a study that I was cheering about! It explained so much.

I have said (fairly repetitively) that I had horrendous symptoms during a tilt table test but nothing to speak about was recorded by the machines I was linked up to. I ended up being discharged with no further investigation.

My OI is much worse now, but I still haven’t plucked up the courage/energy to start all over again.

Daisymay, Hutan, Skycloud and 5 others like this.
  18. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved from the long covid thread

New Haven Register: Long COVID fatigue may not be a heart or lung problem, Yale doctors say

"When cardiopulmonary tests don’t reveal a problem with the heart or lungs, “it’s not that they’re making things up,” said Dr. Inderjit Singh, a pulmonologist at Yale New Haven Hospital and lead author of a study about acute intolerance to exertion. It may be that the muscles are unable to extract oxygen from the blood. The study appears in the journal Chest.

"There are two main theories for the problem, Joseph said. One is that there may be “an abnormal connection between the arteries and the veins in the muscle bed. So oxygen is being delivered appropriately, but it’s bypassing the muscles and it’s not being absorbed by those muscles,” he said. Instead, oxygen is passing from arterial vessels directly to veins.The other possibility is “there’s some inflammatory hit to the mitochondria, which are the powerhouses of the cells,” and so they are unable to take up oxygen efficiently"

So far, there is no treatment for the condition, which also has appeared in patients with Lyme disease, chronic fatigue syndrome and other post-viral syndromes."

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2022
    Daisymay, Simon M, ahimsa and 10 others like this.
  19. tuha

tuha Established Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread
    The study found out that LC patients have inability to extract oxygen in the peripheral tissues, for example, the muscles

A normal pulmonary exercise test consists of riding a stationary bicycle with a mouthpiece that measures oxygen consumption. In the invasive test, a catheter is placed down the right side of the neck into the heart and lung. Another catheter is placed in the wrist. Blood is drawn, “so we’re able to calculate the extraction of oxygen in the other tissues, for example, the muscle,” Singh said.

Normally, a patient should be able to extract 75 percent of the oxygen from their blood, but the long COVID patients are able to extract only 50 percent.

I saw several hypothesis that hypoxia is probably the issue in ME/CFS but I never saw that someone mesured it with an experiment like this. Could this be replicable also in ME/CFS? Is this a good method which could confirm that hypoxia is a problem in ME/CFS?

https://www.nhregister.com/news/art...p1NhoyNh-KZ1nmVsLI4XQZX2RJkxO8UBDzE3_kZ6zv-iA

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2022
    ahimsa, Hutan, Simbindi and 5 others like this.
  20. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is related to David Systrom's earlier work (he's an author on the paper this article refers to). He's published other work using these investigations on ME/CFS patients, as well as Fibro and LC. There's also a related drug trial underway. We have discussed a few of these on here if you search :)

Daisymay, Simon M, Hutan and 3 others like this.