1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Paving the way: the second generation of e-patients, their experiences, actions and driving forces (one has ME), 2020, Scott Duncan

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Dolphin, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paving the way – the second generation of e-patients, their experiences, actions and driving forces THESIS FOR LICENTIATE DEGREE (Ph.Lic.) By Therese Scott Duncan

Free full text: https://openarchive.ki.se/xmlui/bit...erese_Scott_Duncan.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y

2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the student writing this has totally missed the reason that people with chronic or even acute health problems are using the internet to educate themselves and find a means to improve their symptoms is the gross failure of modern medicine to actually serve its patients needs .

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

All that jargon gives me indigestion.
    Here's my version:

Sick people use the internet to learn about their illness, find out about possible treatments, and share experiences and information with other patients.

The next development has been using technology to track their own symtoms and responses to treatments. This helps them with self management of symptoms and treatments, and communicating with health professionals.

The next stage is for patients to use these tools to get involved in influencing the design of better tracking, information sharing and treatments for doctors and patients, and in research.

4. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes this but the medical profession does not like well informed patients telling them how they should be treated for their particular problem after all there has been a long standing paternalistic approach in medicine getting rid of this odd to me idea that every patient is to unreliable to relate their experience and symptoms would be a start towards improving patient experience and outcomes .this would of course require some time and effort from both doctor and patient perhaps education at secondary school level so everybody would have a better idea of how to communicate with medical professionals .

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yep ,I agree this right here is one of the big problems. Patients should not need to be educated in how to get the most out of their appointment with a healthcare professional. This is and should be the healthcare professional's job and in a lot of cases it is impossible to do that properly within the allotted 10 mins.

While working & I got involved with a new client I wouldn't always have previous experience with the specific demands of their business. It was up to me to find that out and bridge the gap between my technical expertise and what was needed for their business.

A patient may not have the ability to clearly and succinctly explain the symptoms and problems they're experiencing for a whole number of reasons. Including the fact they're not well and that's why they're at the docs in the first place. :banghead: