1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Panic attacks or crashes?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Marky, Jun 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So I`m having a bit of an issue the last week.

After doing strength training the last month, I ended up collapsing at home with high heart rate shaking, anxiety etc. Since I assumed something was very awry, i called 911, but after 10 minutes i started to stabilize. The whole episode was very traumatic, Ive only experienced something similar after a football training early in my illness when I thought i was having a heart attack and collapsed in the street.

Then some days later while at the store i felt my heart started to pound again, and a sense of incoming doom. I also started to get shaky, so decided to find a backroom and sit down. I was starting hyperventilate from the stress of the situation, and eventually ended up calling 911 again. I then didnt return to normal for like 2 hours, struggled to talk and was hyperventilating the whole time

Then two days ago it happened at a store again, it felt like my heart was about to explode through my chest while in the queue, but i somehow managed to stay on my feet.

Today i felt it coming on again while making dinner, and it was so bad i had to turn it all off and go to bed.

Thanks for reading this far.

Now, ive had this disease for 5 years, but the last week has been really hard to cope with with these episodes. I dont really understand whats going on. Am i getting panic attacks due to the first episode, or am i getting ME/CFS-related crashes which lead to panic attacks?

The doctors have no clue why this is happening, any insight would be much appreciated!

Dre, Binkie4, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  2. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know Marky, just wanted to say that it sounds horrible. I really hope you find some answers.

coFi94, Dre, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  3. Marky

Thank you Andy :emoji_slight_smile: I really hope so..

Cheshire, Binkie4, AliceLily and 3 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Marky have you seen your GP regarding this? I was feeling shaky/jitterness/heart rate raising the last couple of weeks and mentioned this to my GP earlier this week. she has ordered tests with Cardiovascular Consultants. I developed a cold sore a few days ago and I suspect my increase in HR could be attributed to immunological environmental allergies that I usually experience this time of year.

I hope you find the root cause.

Binkie4, AliceLily, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  5. Marky

Interesting

We talked about it last week. She`s a fresh doctor substituting my GP for a year, and I must only assume she thinks im crazy:p She wrote an application to a psychiatrist anyway. We didnt really know what to do, im already thoroughly checked for heart related issues. I mean i might have to consider trying SSRIs if this continues for more than a month, its not only physically draining but especially mentally.

6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

After you've excluded heart conditions make sure to also exclude POTS.

7. Mij

Does this only occur after exercise?

Binkie4, alktipping and DokaGirl like this.
  8. Marky

By the way, thanks for taking ur time to reply. I dont want to hassle my family/friends more with ME-related stuff, so its great to be able to talk about it somewhere:)

Dre, Binkie4 and alktipping like this.
  9. Marky

That has been the case before, but when i was lifting and collapsed it was the most "violent" episode yet. After that ive been having these panic attack ish episodes without excercise.. Its extremely weird to me, im just so confused atm

10. Marky

Thanks, I believe it is excluded.. I dont normally get a high pulse when standing, just somewhat elevated blood pressure. I actually thought i had POTS before i got diagnosed

Binkie4 and alktipping like this.
  11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have they checked for hypoglycemia - pretty basic but if the first time it happened was after a workout, post workout crashes are largely caused by low blood glucose and /or low hydration, and nothing you've posted rules it out.

Binkie4, AliceLily, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  12. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Wonko makes a great point. It was a long time ago, but there was one period where I would get these severe hypoglycemic episodes. From your description, my experience sounds fairly similar now that I think about it. Shaking, cold sweating, feeling dizzy and like I had to sit down immediately, a galloping heart, and a very desperate need to get it to stop.

I didn't and still don't have any blood sugar issues apart from these episodes. It was before I was diagnosed with ME, but around the time my symptoms started getting so noticeable I struggled to stay in school. I didn't make the connection at the time, seeing as I was in complete denial about my deteriorating health, but in retrospect there might have been a connection.

ETA: If I recall correctly, the worst one was during a workout that consequently had to be cut short.

Binkie4, AliceLily, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sounds a bit like my early symptoms. It's hard to handle at first because it feels so much like constantly being on the verge of losing consciousness. It's hard to get anything done because most physicians will think it's benign anxiety and recommend therapy.

Ativan helped enormously to bring it down, nothing else helped much besides prolonged rest. It would be worth discussing with your GP, if you have a helpful one.

14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are you drinking more caffeine than usual? I used to get panic attacks from coffee. Once I stopped drinking and eating anything with caffeine in it, the panic attacks went away. Touch wood, that was close to 30 years ago and I haven't had any problems since.

Binkie4, alktipping, Mij and 2 others like this.
  15. Marky

Only like 1-3 cups a day usually..:emoji_coffee: Good that it worked for u! I get them when i have not had coffee also so i guess it isnt that

Binkie4, TigerLilea and alktipping like this.
  16. Mij

@Marky are you taking supplements? I've taken several supplement over the years that caused anxiety, shakiness, insomnia. I have also stopped drinking coffee and cut down on hot cacao chocolate drinks.

17. Marky

Only high dose vitamin D, but I was on that for a month prior to this period so I dont know^^ Did u actually react on hot cacao chocolate? Saad its so good.. :)

Binkie4 and alktipping like this.
  18. Mij

Oh it's good :) cacao powder: Cacao stimulates the release of phenylethylamine (PEA) which boosts focus and awareness. And anandamide (the bliss molecule) which helps you feel good. Cacao is a source of tryptophan which is the precursor to serotonin. And theobromine which boosts blood flow, is a stimulant, and may account for chocolate’s aphrodisiac qualities.

19. Marky

Ohh wow, I didnt know cacao had so many beneficial ingredients! Maybe I should drink some more of it myself, usually only do at winter

Binkie4, alktipping and Mij like this.
  20. Mij

@Marky You can make raw desserts and smoothies with cacao raw powder.

Binkie4, alktipping and Marky like this.