1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Organic vegetable powder (pref. UK), anyone?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Sasha, Aug 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I struggle to eat greens because of the prep and now the Covid-sanitisation issue. I'd like to find a green powder supplement that consists of vegetables and doesn't include fruit, seeds, herbs, probiotics or any 'medicinal' stuff. I'm looking for food, not treatment.

So I'm looking for:

• powder ONLY from dried (mainly leafy) green vegetables;
    • organic;
    • preferably grown and produced in the UK.

Does anyone know of any such? I've found plenty with all sorts of other stuff in, or non-organic, or from overseas where I'm not sure I'd trust the certification, but that's not what I want. I react badly to lots of stuff.

Yessica and Trish like this.
  2. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't know if this is any use but www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk have some dried vegetable powders under 'wholefoods:dried vegetables' and 'superfoods'

Yessica and Sasha like this.
  3. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The powders are quite expensive. Is there a specific reason why they should only be grown and produced in the UK? This limits your choices.

I like Koyah, but it's a US product.

Yessica, Simbindi and Sasha like this.
  5. Simbindi

We have to pay horrendous import charges for any product bought outside of the EU, plus the cost of shipping from the USA is also very high for the UK.

Yessica likes this.
  6. Mij

I understand, it's the same for Canadian customers. But Sasha wants a product grown in the UK which makes it more difficult to find? Not sure though.

7. Simbindi

Sasha likes this.
  8. Mij

Since COVID I have restricted my veggies to locally grown broccoli and brussel sprouts. I soak them overnight in water and steam them. I have avoided all salads.

9. Sasha

I'd like to reduce food miles. Plus, I'm more trusting of the UK's organic scheme (and even some countries where I'd hope they have good schemes, they're often importing 'organic' ingredients from the developing world, where I'd be less trusting of certification). And, as @Simbindi says, import and mailing charges are high for goods coming long-distance and a lot of US products aren't sold in the UK. Also, a lot of US and other foreignh products that are normally sold in the UK are currently shown as not available, probably due to Covid issues.

Subtropical Island, Yessica and Mij like this.
  10. Sasha

I've avoided all leafy greens because I don't think I can sanitise them adequately (their surfaces are porous). The exception is kale, which I've been washing warm water with detergent in it, then rinsing, then microwaving to make kale chips. I'm hoping that all of that will be enough to kill any virus but it's exhausting and I've had enough.

I'm hoping that powders will be OK simply because of the amount of time that they will have been in the pack. The virus doesn't survive for more than a matter of days outside of a host or unless it's frozen.

Yessica and Mij like this.
  11. Mij

@Sasha

Agree. The COVID food preparation is exhausting! I have cut out everything that I can't peel or soak overnight.

Sasha likes this.
  12. Sasha

BTW, I'm sure everyone has thought of this but in terms of cost, it's important to compare fresh with dry weight. A 100g pack of (non-organic) kale costs me £1 (1p/g), plus loads of difficult effort to turn it into kale chips.

According to one of those sites, 100g of fresh kale makes 10g of powder. The smallest quantity that you can buy of their kale powder costs 4p per gramme of powder, which means 0.4p per gramme of fresh kale - so it's half the price, plus it's organic!

Unless my maths has gone wrong, I'm pleased with that!

Subtropical Island likes this.
  13. Sasha

I wash all veg such as carrots, parsnips, aubergines, courgettes, etc., and then I chop and roast them so that any remaining virus gets cooked (plus roasting is easier than standing over a pan).

Yessica and Mij like this.
  14. Mij

Roasting is better for sure, but it's been so hot and humid here that I can't stand the thought of turning on the oven!

15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I tend to assume so long as veg is cooked any virus on it will be killed. I buy green veg that comes in plastic bags from the supermarket. I transfer it to a clean plastic bag before refrigerating, and boil the veg in the microwave.

We've started eating some salad again, but not leafy greens, just things like cucumber, peppers and avocado where we can wash the skin with soapy water and rinse throughly, then leave them a room temperature for a couple of days for any stray viruses that survive that to die off. (I hope).

We also use frozen veg which I microwave. I treat the freezer as a 'danger zone' and always wash hands throughly after handling freezer packaging.

Sorry, this is not help to you, @Sasha, I just wondered if you could manage green veg with less effort if you microwave it. I gave up steaming/boiling veg in a saucepan on the cooker as it needed too much attention.

Yessica and NelliePledge like this.
  16. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The World Health Organization say that food so far has been covid free. I eat raw veggies all of the time.

MeSci likes this.
  17. Sasha

Thanks, Trish - I just don't like boiled vegetables!

Trish likes this.
  18. Sasha

Have they said that food is Covid-free, or rather that they're not aware that anyone has been shown to have caught Covid from food? I've seen that latter claim and I don't know how they'd expect to be able to tell if someone had caught the virus from food. As far as I know, they're not even trying to check, but maybe I'm missing something.

Yessica and Trish like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Ah, OK fair enough. Would powdered veg be any better? I'm wondering how to use them - soup?

Sasha likes this.
  20. Mij

I don't feel confident that I can trust what the WHO says regarding COVID precautions at this time. Here on the east coast they've had problems with migrant workers testing + for COVID.

Yessica likes this.