1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Options please for genetic testing to check for gene mutations, etc. Wanting privacy.

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by Yessica, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a 23 and Me kit in my room for years. Hesitant to use it cause of privacy issues.

Was wondering are there tests that a doctor's office can run that would be similar to 23 and Me? Then I wouldn't have to be concerned about my results, how they are going to use it now or in the future with decisions made regarding them at 23 and ME or other companies.

I think I have issues with Vitamin B. From what I've researched it may be playing a role in some of the things going on with me.

I've had the 2 blood tests the doctors do for it. I'd like to have something more comprehensive that may show why I'm having problems with Vitamin B and anything else that may be up.

Over the years I've read bits and pieces on threads at the other place on B12, SNPs, etc. I need to understand it better yet would like to have more thorough genetic testing to work with as I proceed.

Were any of your doctor's office able to do this kind of testing or does it have to come through companies like 23 and Me? Or is there another option that still would give us confidentiality with our medical information? Thank you for any help with this. :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    DokaGirl and Ron like this.
  2. MarcNotMark

MarcNotMark Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to this article:
    https://torontophysiotherapy.ca/genetic-privacy-anonymous-23andme-results/
    It would be possible to do the 23andme relatively anonymously, although not bullet proof.

.......... but

If you had the kit send to your home address it may already be too late for that :bag:

ETA: or order a second kit in the way described in the article.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    DokaGirl and Yessica like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Before you decide, it might be worth asking whether this kind of testing will tell you anything reliable about your ability to absorb or utilise B vitamins.

Having a particular variant may not determine how your body works, as genetic traits often have highly variable penetrance, and there may be other factors that balance out any potentially deleterious effects.

I have to inject vitamin B12, for instance, but not because of my genetic heritage. It's the result of a common bacterial stomach infection that was left untreated for too long.

I guess I'm trying to say (in a long-winded way – sorry!) that there's huge amount of stuff written about these topics on the internet, and some of it is generated by people with no training in medicine or genetics, who're marketing supplements or 'therapies'. Caveat emptor and all that. :)

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree with @Kitty. If the ordinary blood test do not show anything, genetic testing will tell you nothing. Genetic tests might tell you why your blood tests are abnormal, if they are, but if they are normal then the genetics will be irrelevant. Genes can only have an effect through the chemistry that ordinary diagnostic tests assess.

shak8, alktipping, Yessica and 3 others like this.