1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

(Not a recommendation)Woman battling chronic fatigue syndrome article on Perrin 'cure' - old article doing the rounds again(?)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article is about being cured with the Perrin technique.
    "..............
    Rita, of Staffordshire, Stafford, was ill for about 14 months, but in January 2003 she found hope through her daughter.

Her daughter found out through a chance conversation at work that the daughter of her director had suffered similar symptoms to Rita.

The Perrin Technique transformed Rita’s life (Picture: Rita Williams)
    The Perrin Technique is a system of manual diagnosis around five physical symptoms, and is based on the theory that CFS/ME is a disorder of the lymphatic drainage system.

This disorder can be caused by different factors, including allergies, stress and infections which can lead to a build-up of toxins in the fluid around the brain and spinal cord."

"ME, otherwise known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), is a long-term illness in which sufferers display symptoms of extreme tiredness"

rest of article here:
    http://urthevoice.co.uk/woman-battling-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-owes-doctor-changed-life/

eta: this story was also herehttp://metro.co.uk/2017/12/26/woman...t-all-to-doctor-who-changed-her-life-7128849/

Its very old so I don't know why its being 're released'..................?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Enuff said. :yuck:

3. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, those pesky toxins!
    Ugh, it's the 'extreme tiredness' definition again - it always sets off my BS monitor as to whether the author even knows what ME/CFS is and instead is confusing it with chronic fatigue, or narcolepsy, or similar. (And yes, the article was BS in 2003, so why re-release it?)

4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We had the pleasure of Mr Perrin at our table at the NICE stakeholder engagement workshop.

He was one of the participants who led us up dead ends and spoke at as much length as possible about his own methods and recent research.

Sean, Cinders66, Barry and 12 others like this.
  5. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He also mock cautioned me towards the end when we were given an opportunity by the facilitator to say what was most important/hadn't been adequately covered.

I launched into the need to look at the reanalysis of PACE results with the raw data that had been released after the FOI tribunal, as it showed there was NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE between the PACE "treatments".

I was well aware that Michael Shape was on the next table, but did not care whether or not he heard my comments.

(Due to the cramped setting and high noise levels it was difficult at times to hear what was being said on our own tables)

Hutan, Sean, Barry and 10 others like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried it. It didn't work. It didn't even help, if anything it made matters worse.

adambeyoncelowe, Inara and MEMarge like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dismayed to find this (article from Huffington post) being featured in Disability today:
    "
    ME Could Be Diagnosed And Treated Faster Thanks To Technique That Helped Girl Too Exhausted To Speak – HuffPost UK

"Olivia McDonald missed two years of school when she first began experiencing symptoms of Myalgic Encephalopathy (ME) at the age of 12."
    "
    There is currently no universally accepted method of diagnosing ME, with diagnosis being completed via the process of elimination of other conditions, making progress slow.

But now, new research suggests a quick technique can provide an accurate diagnosis of ME by simply assessing patients for five physical symptoms."
    "
    It was only after she visited Dr Raymond Perrin, an expert in the field recommended by her mum’s friend, that she received a diagnosis and began to receive treatment that appeared to ease her symptoms.

It is Dr Perrin’s method of diagnosis, called The Perrin Technique, that has now been analysed with positive results in the British Medical Journal (BMJ)."

https://disabilitytoday.co.uk/me-co...lped-girl-too-exhausted-to-speak-huffpost-uk/

This is so irresponsible.

Inara, Hutan, Sean and 5 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I tried posting a comment. Can anyone see it?

MEMarge and Invisible Woman like this.
  9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nope. Maybe comments are moderated and they aren't around at the weekend?

MEMarge and Trish like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good on you!

Sean, Wonko, Trish and 1 other person like this.