1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA: Cornell Center for Enervating NeuroImmune Disease and Maureen Hanson

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Helen, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Helen

Helen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://simmaronresearch.com/2017/12/simmaron-patient-day-summary-part-ii-hanson-report/

"Maureen Hanson has been making waves. An ace molecular plant biologist prior to entering the chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) field, Hanson has worked on mitochondrial and gene studies in plants dating back decades. Now, with her son ill from ME/CFS, she’s turned her talents to this field, and has made a difference in a hurry....."

The article presents her ongoing research, also with a background, and what is to come.

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is how lower respiratory capacity, mentioned in the article, was interpreted in a previous study:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0186802

healthforall, ukxmrv, Allele and 4 others like this.
  3. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It looks like quite an honour, and perhaps creates opportunities for Maureen to push ME/CFS and Long Covid forward as issues that need attention. I think Maureen is a deserving recipient of the honour - her team's research work is always sensible and solid, as is her advocacy.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Jacob Richter, janice, Trish and 5 others like this.
  8. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @Jaybee00, that's an interesting presentation; some things sound promising. The study that found that particular types of immune cells have drastically different gene expression for pwME and healthy controls is intriguing. (see at 25.30 minutes)

I'm a bit surprised that Maureen Hanson is so dogmatic about Gulf War Illness being different to ME/CFS. (see at 50.30 minutes) To my mind, the research on that has not been nearly good enough to say that so certainly.

And I was surprised at her reluctance to accept that people with Long Covid who meet ME/CFS criteria have ME/CFS. That seems to ignore the fact that ME/CFS seems to result from a range infections, including other coronaviruses. I can't help but wonder if her viewpoint is based as much on politics as biology. For example, she made the point that if the answer to Long Covid is found and that it is due to the virus hiding in some protected part of the body, then the solution to that is not going to be helpful to people with (pre-2020) ME/CFS, as they can't be infected with that particular virus. And so we should keep studying ME/CFS. Perhaps it's mostly that she wants to keep funds coming in for ME/CFS research and to keep her team studying it, and not completely jump over to Long Covid as the NIH seems to have done, leaving people with ME/CFS feeling abandoned. Maybe it's about not putting all the eggs in one basket.

(edit - Mango has just posted about Jonas Bergquist also saying he doesn't think ME/CFS and Long Covid are the same, although there are common mechanisms.
    Long Covid in the media and social media 2022. I wonder if it's some OMF concerted approach to the question. It doesn't make sense to me. It's like ME/CFS is all the various types of apples, Granny Smith and Braeburn and whatever, and ME/CFS compliant Long Covid is a brand new type of apple - and then saying, oh, ME/CFS and Long Covid aren't the same.)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  10. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a definitional problem, Long Covid Syndrome includes so many pathologies that there can not logically be a simple equivalence of LCS = ME/CFS. Occurrence of classic Post Viral Syndrome and long term ME/CFS following COVID19 infection is an important area of study but it needs to be conceptually separated from the amorphous thing that is LCS.

alktipping, FMMM1, Ravn and 5 others like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem with her argument is that it is not logically consistent - if no cases of LongCOVID are ME/CFS then ME/CFS itself probably isn't a single disease either.

12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pathophysiological and cellular abnormalities for PEM would put us all in the same boat and then we can call it what it is.

I would personally like a new name for M.E b/c it doesn't really describe my illness.

13. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Strongly agree—Yeah I saw this earlier (but didn’t comment) and thought it was problematic. I don’t know what she is thinking, but I really don’t think it’s helpful. The smaller you make your box, the worse your funding prospects are. I also think she is wrong.

obeat, alktipping, Ravn and 3 others like this.
  14. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I interpreted her statements as primarily political. I think she fears that with all the money going to LC in the US, funders will just say we don't need to give any more money to ME, those pwME can just sit there nice and quiet and wait for the LC results to roll in and hope for the best.
    Sure, LC research may come up trumps for us but if it doesn't that'll be more years or decades wasted just waiting. Which is not a strategy I want to rely on.

Hutan, alktipping, cfsandmore and 9 others like this.
  15. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely.

I don't see what Hanson said as being merely political, to me it sounds to be a logical parsing of the research challenge. Of course it depends on what the research objective is but I don't see at all problematic to say LCS and GWS do not offer useful populations for the investigation of ME/CFS, it's not as though data on LCS and GWS aren't available for comparison or that comparison studies can't happen.

Hanson isn't explicit but I take from what she says that she is allowing that post infection conditions (PVS etc) may not be pathophysiologically the same as ME/CFS - that seems to me to be an important consideration and is something that really does need to be made explicit. Although many PwME trace their illness back to an infection that in itself isn't evidence that the underlying pathology of PVS etc is the same as ME/CFS.

Hanson's point about a % of LCS patients meeting ME/CFS criteria is important because we can't know, merely on the basis of symptoms, whether COVID19 is substantially implicated in any individual's developing ME/CFS. The lack of incidence and prevalence monitoring of ME/CFS is major inhibition but tens of thousands of people develop ME/CFS every year, in a pandemic where over half the population has been infected at least once in a two year period it must be expected that at least a quarter of the expected annual incidence rate of ME/CFS will be comorbid with COVID19 exposure. If your study population is selected by COVID19 infection patients meeting ME/CFS criteria, what is it you are actually studying ?

16. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wonder if she was "selected" in the knowledge that would promote the ME/CFS cause but that seems ridiculous based on how excluded ME/CFS is ---- but yes, it's positive for a number of reasons 1 of which it makes it harder for those who challenge ME/CFS as a real (biological) disease.

alktipping likes this.
  17. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Swedish ME expert doctor/researcher Per Julin, who works at a long covid clinic nowadays, was quoted in a (paywalled) news article yesterday:

"I don't equate ME with long covid, you don't get lung problems in ME for example. But there are some similarities."

I'd be very interested to hear more about his thoughts on this.

alktipping, CRG and Trish like this.
  18. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2023
  19. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I doubt that the headline is the writer’s fault; the copy is otherwise unobjectionable and the news itself is of course great.

20. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)