1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

My mom is limited by a disability but still shows up in all ways that matter-Washington Post article

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by shak8, May 8, 2020.

1. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2020
    wingate, Joh, Barry and 8 others like this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good article. The website offers the option of limited access for free.

Reading it and the way she describes how other people's ignorance and judgement of her Mom's illness made life much harder than it needed to be, it struck me that,

on the one hand society seems to view the disabled increasingly harshly and there is always the suspicion of exaggeration or malingering,

while on the other, people are encouraged to view themselves as increasingly mentally fragile. It seems at every turn they are told that normal emotional and psychological reactions to life events are evidence of mental ill health.

That's quite a disconnect.

TiredSam, Michelle, Squeezy and 14 others like this.
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

what a lovely lovely article :)

yes.

Edited to remove sentence that could be viewed as possible 'conspiracy theory' - too ill to discuss/defend it

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    shak8, MEMarge, ahimsa and 1 other person like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just started the article but dammit the link they used is to the Mayo clinic, who are absolutely awful over this.

Article is otherwise good, though lean on details, but this is a huge missed opportunity.

(Incognito/private mode bypasses the paywall but don't do that it would be bad I'm only saying this so you avoid doing something naughty)

Squeezy, Chezboo, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  5. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

shak8, Yessica and ahimsa like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Squeezy, shak8 and Invisible Woman like this.
  7. shak8

I wrote her, but hadn't seen the links to Mayo and Merck Manual. What to link to instead?

Invisible Woman likes this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Although not perfect, the CDC guide is at least passable.

Otherwise maybe a link that was passing around from something like NIH rare diseases or something like that? It was alright.

There are better resources but they aren't as authoritative. It's a serious problem that we still have to work with literal disinformation from authoritative sources, some of it literally delusional. But, you know, chicken, egg, eggless chicken, chickenless egg.

10. shak8

Will send her these and ask her to use one/more next time, or this time, if she can get it corrected. Thank you, @Trish.

11. shak8

Brittany Collins wrote back and said (among other nice things):

"I so appreciate your attention to the sources included in the piece, and the time you took to seek out these other, very valuable resources. Though it's quite challenging to get editorial boards to alter a piece once published, I will absolutely keep these links on file for future articles, as it's critically important to me to provide the most relevant and representative research."