1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Multimorbidity: Implications and directions for health psychology and behavioral medicine, 2019, Boyd et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2019-49234-002?doi=1
    Sci hub, not available

ETA: Posting this is not a recommendation of it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Lisa108, shak8 and MEMarge like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, yes, the surprising discovery that many health problems are not fully isolated and that, shockingly, there is no hard limit set in nature that means people can only have one significant health problem at a time. How weird is that?

Meanwhile, at the clinic: "consults will be limited to only one symptom".

Also meanwhile: this multi-systemic disease with multiple symptoms is actually only one symptom and nothing else, because, see, we're "holistic", and all of that

The slow process of "discovering" things that millions of people have been saying for decades is a sight to behold.

MEMarge, Sarah94, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An aside from the actual paper abstract:
    I've always loved the name psychNET. It feels like there should be a 1-800 phone number attached.

Perhaps they can prognosticate if I will have further morbidities in the future so I can book an appointment now and avoid the wait.

Though they could stand to update their 'holistic' visions of health to biological manifestations are/can be rather more than just a nod and a wink and then off we go to the psych for therapy. Therapy is IMO not the primary tool that will most often be the best choice to support an ill persons well-being.

I'd like to know how they always view pyschosocial through only this narrow aperture.

This stuff starts to feel like a strange kind of reaction --having over reached and over stated the value of the BPS model they feel devalued (they don't yet rule the medical world) so they respond by . . . over hyping their worth.

Samuel, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.