1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Most UK scientists who publish extremely highly-cited papers do not secure funding from major public and charity funders. Stavropoulou et al. (2019)

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Mar 1, 2019.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sly Saint, EzzieD, Sean and 5 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New paper by Ioannidis, which I thought was interesting.

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The 'old boy network', https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_boy_network, in full effect, though I have to admit that I would have thought that all the 'old boys' would be citing each other left, right and centre as well. Perhaps they don't see the need.

Chezboo, Esther12 and ME/CFS Skeptic like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They cite each other, but since they all have 600 publications, none of any great interest, none of the papers scores 1000 citations.

It is interesting to see that only 1,370 papers scored 1000 citations in the period. I have a paper with 2000 citations in that period. And I never got funding from the big three. But I never had any illusions things were going to be otherwise.

And of course the rate of citation is not necessarily a sign of a good paper.

It does bring the point home though.

Sly Saint, EzzieD, TrixieStix and 5 others like this.