1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Metabolic analysis of amino acids and vitamin B6 pathways in lymphoma survivors with cancer related chronic fatigue: Fluge et al Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0227384

2. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know dr Phair has some theories on Trypyophan being a contributor to the IDO metabolic trap. But what are they referring to here?

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

From the Discussion:
    The authors are suggesting fatigue after cancer treatment is different to CFS/ME:
    Re the Trp levels:
    So lymphoma survivors with fatigue and people with CFS/ME had similar levels of Trp (averages 73.4 and 73.4). And lymphoma survivors without fatigue and healthy controls from the CFS/ME study both had higher levels (77.6 and 77.8).

But here's the graph of Trp levels from this study of cancer survivors (Trp is the graph on the left):
    Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 5.27.28 PM.png

Look at the huge amount of overlap (and note the truncated scale). If there's really a difference in average Trp levels between cancer survivors with and without fatigue, it's certainly not a consistent difference at the patient level.