1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Memantine

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by energyoverload, May 20, 2018.

1. energyoverload

energyoverload Established Member

Hi,

I just thought I would share my experience with regard to how I manage my neuroexcitotoxicity. I take memantine 30mgs daily with gabapentin 1200mgs 3 x daily. I'm surprised not more people seem to have explored these management strategies. I also take salinated water 2 litres daily.

Does anyone else use a similar daily coping strategy?

energy.

Allele likes this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting, an antidementia and epilepsy drug combination
    Out of curiosity how did you come to these particular drugs?

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  3. energyoverload

energyoverload Established Member

They both have a synergistic anti-glutamate effect. Gabapentin impairs glutamate release in part through its function as a voltage gated calcium channel inhibitor. Memantine complements this reduction in glutamate signalling through antagonism of one of the key glutamate receptors (n-methyl-d-aspartate). I decided to try adding the two together because of this rationale, so some was acquired. Memantine can be prescribed off label of course.

I only bring this up because, I have tried so many different protocols and supplements including the methylation protocol, and by far, although this is not 'fixing' anything, in my case this combination has a far greater effect than anything else I have come across COQ10, ubiquinol, Acetyl l carnitine to name but a few.

I also have been on Rituximab which unfortunately did not work in my case..

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting.
    What made you target glutamate?
    Sorry to hear about Rituximab not working for you :(

Trish likes this.
  5. adreno

adreno Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have tried memantine. But just 5mg makes me completely brain dead.

6. Creachur

Creachur Established Member

I have long been interested in trying memantine but I always seem to have too much going on and I recall it needs a week or two to establish itself.

7. Keebird

Keebird Established Member (Voting Rights)

Glad to hear that you found something that helps. I was prescribed memantine for migraines and had a horrible experience with it. It made me feel disconnected, depersonalized, foggier than usual, and gave me vertigo. I don’t usually have severe reactions to meds so was surprised. I gave it a 6 week trial and the side effects never got better. Interested to see if it starts being prescribed more commonly for ME/CFS and how folks respond to it.