1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

#MEAction: "Unseen: Black people living with ME"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.meaction.net/2019/04/15/unseen-black-people-living-with-me/

andypants, Keebird, Cohen and 24 others like this.
  2. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@EspeMor MEAction are very keen on identity politics. This is a big thing in the US, have the ME Action also considered the downsides?

3. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

what are MEaction up to?

It’s like they are going through a list and inventing problems so they can tick specific lobbying groups off their wish-list

• Men and their alpha male problems...check
    • Black people and problems with stock images...check

I think most people have a problem with the images used to spread awareness about ME and it’s not just because the subjects are white.

What’s next?

My Catholicism made my M.E. worse?
    Discrimination against the ME LGBT community?

Perhaps their content manager is bored? I’m all for diversity but becoming a parasite for all the discrimination in society is only going to confuse what are a few very simple communication themes. I wish they would keep a tighter focus and realise that there is a price to pay for chaotic random flights of fancy.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have read the article, and in this case I think it is a valid concern that is worth raising. If there is significant underdiagnosis in particular ethnic groups because of misconceptions that ME only affects white people, then that is a problem that needs to be addressed by raising awareness among relevant health workers.

Sarah94, WillowJ, ahimsa and 45 others like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jason et al did a big random sample prevalence study and found that CFS affected all ethnic and socioeconomic groups. At the time it was widely believed that CFS was an illness of the white middle class. In reality the non white middle class patients were just not being diagnosed with it.

Sarah94, WillowJ, ahimsa and 32 others like this.
  6. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The reality denying right will call the disabled lazy welfare queens.
    Its been happening since the 70s already so not much else is there to change.

Ignoring minorities will not help us or anyone else.

WillowJ, Sarah94, cjlush and 15 others like this.
  7. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With all due respect, this isn't an 'invented problem' (and the issue goes beyond stock images). I'm in the #MEAction Black Forum group on Facebook and people have raised some very specific instances where race and ethnicity have been major barriers for them both inside and outside the ME community.

Additionally, there are thought to be specific barriers to obtaining healthcare that have been identified for black people and other minorities.

My advice: if talking about these things isn't your cup of tea, ignore these discussions. I'm rather fed up of articles about Prince Harry and Meghan, so I just ignore them.

Exactly.

WillowJ, Sarah94, cjlush and 32 others like this.
  8. Estherbot

The toxic masculinity piece was rather odd.

The individual seemed to suffer from self loathing and low self esteem.

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

wow thats a big judgment to make on a fellow person with ME

WillowJ, Sarah94, Pechius and 7 others like this.
  10. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doesn’t seem like it. I think its good to highlight issues if certain ethnicity’s are not being diagnosed (not sure if this is the case or not). I’m just not liking the pattern I’m seeing from them at all.

alktipping, Mij, TiredSam and 2 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I completely disagree. The article made a lot of sense to me, and he wrote with an honesty that I liked. When you are ill, especially in the early days of something as potentially devastating as ME, you are vulnerable and confused, and not sure how to act, to even be - especially if you have never been seriously ill before. Admitting to that uncertainty, describing it and talking about how he moved on from it will be hugely valuable to others who find themselves in that position, in my opinion.

And with this article, I think it's hugely valuable that other voices be heard - if, as certainly seems to be the case, that ME is under-diagnosed in black, and presumably other, ethinc groups that is most definitely something that needs to be talked about.

And as for MEAction being keen on/having a pattern of identity politics. What do you mean by that exactly? All I see is MEAction giving a platform for anybody with ME to tell their unique individual story - so if you mean that MEAction are playing ME identity politics then I absolutely agree and encourage them to do so.

12. Estherbot

I brought up the identity politics issue not because I disagree with the article, it's well written.

It would be good to have a debate on whether the identity politics approach is appropriate for ME

Identity politics is an EXTREMELY controversial area and has a number of risks which should be carefully considered.

It is an area where the debate quickly spirals out of control and you end up with the likes of Rod Liddle, Toby Young et al involved.

Diluted-biscuit and sb4 like this.
  13. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not 'identity politics'. It's people's lives.

WillowJ, Sarah94, andypants and 21 others like this.
  14. Mfairma

Mfairma Established Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not familiar with the other article being referenced, but this article is well-written, the content is relevant, and it gives valuable historical perspective.

This issue is something I have wondered about since the first CFSAC I went to, when just about all the patients were white. I assumed economic factors played a large role in that, as those able to attend conferences generally are pretty well-supported, emotionally, financially, and logistically, but obviously that can't explain the absence fully. We should want to understand why the ranks of patients, or at least patient advocates, skews the way it seems to, if not to better care for everyone who comes down with the disease and to bring in other perspectives, then to better represent to outsiders that the disease affects everyone. This article strikes me as a valuable addition to that discussion.

Sarah94, WillowJ, Mariaba and 27 others like this.
  15. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember Joan Eddis who started MESH support group here told me way back in 1991 that POC were not diagnosed with ME, instead they were thought of as lazy.

I'm assuming she interacted with a few?

16. arewenearlythereyet

I think it’s worth raising any issue of discrimination wherever it occurs. Stigma is stigma and it’s wrong whether you have ME or not. However we need to be careful that we don’t send out or endorse false trails of information. This may be real or equally it may not.

Fake news originates where people make correlations, sometimes with good intentions that just aren’t there, giving anecdotes and then equating these with facts.

The article didn’t refer to a survey or provide any facts about race and diagnosis rate, or anything else? Perhaps I missed something that endorses the opinion that black people are experiencing a different sort of discrimination than what they experience outside of the ME community? I think if this is of concern and there are no facts ...the piece should call for facts to be gathered...not portray feelings as facts,and call for the discrimination to stop.

However that’s not my main beef ...I’m not invalidating anyone’s experience or feelings...just questioning the motive of MEAction using wider discrimination presumably for larger media attention.

That is my interest and I posted because I am also interested in the proliferation of fake news via social media and have a vested interest in ME Action having a good communication policy. I am concerned that they are mixing messages and effectively diluting what could be a much more hard hitting and simpler communication campaign.

That doesn’t mean I don’t endorse fighting against race, religious age or gender discrimination in everyday walks of life (which I’m also interested in).

It’s a sensitive subject so I probably shouldn’t have used the word “inventing” for which I apologise for anyone that misinterpreted this to mean that I was denying or dismissing discrimination per se.

17. Hoopoe

This idea is well supported by a large study by Jason et al. It's 20 years old by now but it seems reasonable to assume that this problem hasn't gone away.

Sarah94, WillowJ, Keebird and 16 others like this.
  18. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's a really well-written article addressing an important issue. This issue of under-diagnosis among certain types of people goes beyond 'first world' countries. There are whole countries where ME/CFS is scarcely known, whole countries where people with ME/CFS are not being diagnosed.

I agree, we need more facts, more statistics. More good epidemiological studies, across the world. But the first step towards getting them is recognising that there is an issue that is causing much suffering.

Sarah94, WillowJ, Chezboo and 19 others like this.
  19. Hoopoe

Underdiagnosis in general is a huge problem. We don't discuss it that much because most of us are diagnosed but estimates are that for every diagnosed person there are up to 9 that are undiagnosed. While there isn't any real treatment, a diagnosis would allow these undiagnosed patients to connect to other patients and contribute to research and advocacy. Being undiagnosed deprives them even of this.

Also maybe because this place is UK-centric which is possibly the only country where underdiagnosis is not as big of a problem.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  20. arewenearlythereyet

I think this seems like a good idea for a piece of research that needs an update...a lot has changed in 20 years. I would be interested to have a read if you have the full title or a link?

I also wonder what the charity membership demographics look like and how many of the members are officially diagnosed? You could run quite a cheap analysis/survey amongst members to get some indicative facts without spending too much money. I wonder whether any of them have thought of doing this? Perhaps the numbers aren’t big enough to make meaningful for the reasons described?

ladycatlover, alktipping and Hutan like this.