1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 12th October 2020 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Martine McCutcheon (again) - puts family before career after years of illness

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sly Saint, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"
    By Rianne Addo For Mailonline

Published: 19:50, 3 June 2018 | Updated: 20:13, 3 June 2018

She has shared the details of her health issues in the past, after she was diagnosed with chronic illness M.E. and Lyme disease."
    "
    The Wishing hitmaker has battled through a series of crippling illnesses, as she was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome in 2011, and tackled with severe depression.

Happy: In an interview with Daily Star, the 42-year-old actress - who shares her three-year-old son Rafferty with husband Jack McManus - said she values her 'really nice life' with her loved ones

In April last year, the actress revealed she was diagnosed with Lyme disease, which causes her lose weight slower than the average person.

M.E. (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) is a long-term, fluctuating, neurological condition that affects the nervous and immune systems, while Lyme disease is a bacterial infection which is spread to humans by infected ticks, and has varying results.

Despite her the challenging conditions, Martine revealed she learnt to 'pace it', admitting: 'You get to the point where you don’t really feel like it affects you. That’s lovely.'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-career-following-years-battling-illness.html

really badly written; no mention of LP this time.

Barry, Grigor, Melanie and 8 others like this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well ..... That's lovely for her. Good for her if she's found a way of living that means she can feel that way, but that is far from the norm for the majority of ME patients, let alone those who have Lyme too!

JoanneS, Barry, sebaaa and 14 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm wondering if Martine is receiving proper advice on how to pace herself. If you read up on her she has cancelled shows due to viral infections.

4. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She does us No favours.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2018
  5. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like she is finally understanding she is not well, never will be, LP did nothing for her, and changed her tune about the misleading buzz-word "recovered".

6. Sly Saint

Martine McCutcheon opens up about living with ME and Lyme disease
    https://evoke.ie/2020/05/18/showbiz...living-with-me-and-lyme-disease-during-crisis

eta: also in Daily Mail
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...g-health-conditions-amid-COVID-19-crisis.html

and several other outlets

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Andy like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is hard for people in the public eye, who risk having little things they say presented a news stories. Although having lots of money will be something of an advantage. But that also means that you're more likely to have quacks try to take advantage. (Overall, I'd like more money).

There's so much misinformation being promoted that I think that individual patients, especially when newly ill, are often likely to say things that aren't really right and I don't think we should be that critical of them for this. They're stuck in this ridiculous situation that so many of us find confusing.

wigglethemouse, Kitty, sebaaa and 2 others like this.
  8. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At least this shows that the LP didn't cure her

Dolphin, Invisible Woman and Kitty like this.
  9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, and they have no control at all over what is reported and how. I don't tend to criticise people whose stories are reported unhelpfully, as years of dealing with the press means I know how badly they can mangle information! Even a carefully worded press release can be spun around to present the opposite view, and you need to be pretty skilled to manage face-to-face interviews well, especially if you're in the public eye. It's probably why many well-known people now tweet stuff themselves rather than talk to the newspapers.

Dolphin, Keela Too, Esther12 and 2 others like this.
  10. Sly Saint

Yes, but in her umpteen interviews it would be nice for her and other high-profile people (eg Esther Rantzens daughter) to put the record straight about it; ie that part of the LP is to tell yourself and everyone else that you are 'cured'.

Dolphin, Mij, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

on MEA FB

12. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bizzare for them to be advertising this story

Sarah94, rvallee and Mij like this.
  13. large donner

large donner Guest

Although there is much truth in what you say Mccutchen has no problem going on tv interviews and spouting the same nonsense.

Also in this day and age if a celebrity is being misquoted or is claiming to be there is no reason why they can't just put out a fully controlled interview detailing their own version of their story on youtube or facebook or twitter etc.

I just see no reason why anyone would bother with the press or risk
    a tiny tv segment anymore after being interviewed by a journalist for hours who is gong to edit you down to some out of sequence sound bites or much worse.

Unless of course you have an agent who is advising you to keep up a profile in the mainstream with angles on the latest buzz story types.....

"My struggle with...."

"How i overcame..."

"How I lost .....lbs on ....."

"Support ......week...."

Stuart, Kitty and Invisible Woman like this.