1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Making Sense of Chronic Disease Using Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT): An Existential View of Illness, 2020, Kalla et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Mar 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Woolie, Sean and Invisible Woman like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see this extract, which I presume refers to the current study

3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

isn't this a step to far for these navel gazing morons .any doctor who opens a conversation with philosophical drivel is not going to last 5 minutes with me .medicine is supposed to be based in science not the droolings of imbeciles .

Woolie, Arnie Pye, Sly Saint and 6 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not clear what the author is saying here. It sounds like yet another attempt to say the patients are converting their emotions into illness.

Woolie, Lidia, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  5. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Decent spoof paper.

'Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis' is pretty inspired comedy. To pick a phrase both totally redundant and utterly oxymoronical is fairly clever.

Explore seems like low-hanging fruit, though. The authors will have to work harder if they want to get one of these spoof papers past an actual journal's editing process.

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Seems to be produced by a bunch of sociologists. Not a medical doctor among them. One of them has a PhD that 'explored the use of complementary medicine within a diversity of communities'. 3 of them work in a university department of rural health.

Clueless.

Woolie, alktipping, Arnie Pye and 5 others like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Biochemistry doesn't matter, only thoughts and feelings matter ... no scientist should take this seriously.

8. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I was doing my MSc in Psychological Research Methods in 2000-2001 and was looking for suitable PhD supervisors, I had some email and telephone communications with Jonathan Smith [http://www.ipa.bbk.ac.uk/] the main psychologist involved in developing the 'new research method' of 'Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis'. I was not impressed by him at all...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Like to see these authors get hit by a bus, and then discuss their interpretative emotional responses to the resultant biophysical damage.

This is the sort of drivel that comes from a society that has had it good for too long. We start believing that the fairy tales in our head are more real and important than the actual world we live in.

10. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the fairy tales in our heads give us hope mostly false hope and of course a vital escape from the miseries that come with having way to much time that we cannot fill with physical activities .

Woolie, ukxmrv and Invisible Woman like this.