1. Read the 'News in Brief' post for w/c 14th Oct, Guest, by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Low Dose Abilify - Any Updates?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by GodGenghis, Jun 16, 2019.

1. GodGenghis

GodGenghis Established Member (Voting Rights)

I heard a while back that Stanford is using a low dose of the anti-psychotic Abilify as a neuro antiinflammatory and finding some success. Are any of you here using Abilify, in either low dose or standard dose? How do you find it affects your ME, if at all? I'm thinking about asking my doctor about it when i'm in next.

For those of you who are curious, i'm told Dr Bonilla prescribes a 2mg pill and suggests starting with 1/4 of it before bed, and experimenting over time within a dosage range of .5mg - 2mg per day. Everyone's sweet spot is different.

2. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was prescribed Risperdal, an anti-psychotic, for a sub-mania condition which was due to, a shrink told me, probably a reaction to tapering too fast off an SRI anti-depressant.

Anyway, I took Risperdal for two to three nights and noticed already the insatiable appetite problem but also, a certain relief of fibro pain.

Longterm though, not a great drug option and certainly not at full dose, in my humble former RN and patient opinion.

4. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some posts discussing forum culture have been moved or copied to the Rule 5 discussion thread. If you want to post about forum culture with respect to discussion of experimental drugs, please do so there.

@Alvin

I agree. I tried to make the point a week or so ago here https://www.s4me.info/threads/how-d...icine-on-s4me-forums.9750/page-10#post-174669 that I picked up a feeling that folks on this forum tended to look down on those who tried meds that were not FDA approved (which is nothing) to treat ME/CFS, and that being against experimenting may not be the most prudent strategy, especially for those people whose disease is progressing.

@GodGenghis I imagine that physicians might be prescribing it in an effort to increase energy. See reviews here https://www.drugs.com/comments/aripiprazole/abilify-for-depression.html

@adambeyoncelowe In my opinion, godchengis was not asking for explicit medical advice, he was merely asking for other's experiences with Abilify. I agree that Abilify has significant side effects, even potentially at the low doses recommended by Stanford--see here again https://www.drugs.com/comments/aripiprazole/abilify-for-depression.html and search for low ratings. But again, you are assuming (I think) that there will be a miracle cure for ME/CFS and it will be side-effect free. Almost all of the meds for the other horrible chronic diseases like MS and RA have bad side effects. I think that people should be made aware of the potential side effects of various treatments and then be allowed to make a decision on whether to take the treatment. If experimenting is not for you, OK by me, but please try not to judge others who don't wish to wait 20-30 years until an FDA (or EU equivalent) drug is approved for ME/CFS.

In my opinion, people who do experiment with "reasonable treatments"* should be encouraged to report here on whether their particular trial was effective, useless or harmful. This would be helpful to other PWME.

I think that some of this boils down to what is construed as a reasonable treatment. For some on this forum it will only be meds that have passed through phase 3 RCT studies. For people on PR, it is natural CCI treatment from holistic chiropractors (yes, really). So there could be some gray area, but for me at least, it is fairly easy to tease out the obviously bogus stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
    Sarah94 and GodGenghis like this.
  5. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, my caree has been on this, I think to augment her existing antidepressants (supposedly prescribed to aid sleep) and to deal with some serious anxiety issues, but not directly for treating ME/CFS. She came off it for a while, got a load of stressful things dumped on her within a short space of time, and the anxiety was back. It may perk you up, I suppose, but possibly more than is desirable for a PwME? I don't know: the jury's still out as far as we are concerned.