1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Leakage of astrocyte-derived extracellular vesicles in stress-induced exhaustion disorder, 2021, Wallensten et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by mango, Apr 23, 2022.

1. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Leakage of astrocyte-derived extracellular vesicles in stress-induced exhaustion disorder: a cross-sectional study

Johanna Wallensten, Anna Nager, Marie Åsberg, Kristian Borg, Aniella Beser, Alexander Wilczek & Fariborz Mobarrez

"Abstract

Patients with stress-induced exhaustion disorder (SED) demonstrate cognitive dysfunction similar to patients with minor traumatic brain injury (TBI).

We have previously detected elevated concentrations of astrocyte-derived extracellular vesicles (EVs) in patients with TBI. As such, we hypothesized that astrocyte-derived EVs could be higher in patients with SED than in patients with major depressive disorder (MDD) and healthy controls.

Patients with SED (n = 31), MDD (n = 31), and healthy matched controls (n = 61) were included.

Astrocyte-derived EVs (previously known as microparticles) were measured in plasma with flow cytometry and labeled against glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) and aquaporin 4 (AQP4). In addition, platelet EVs and their CD40 ligand expression were measured.

Patients with SED had significantly higher concentrations of AQP4 and GFAP-positive EVs and EVs co-expressing AQP4/GFAP than patients with MDD and healthy controls.

Patients with MDD had significantly higher concentrations of GFAP-positive EVs and EVs co-expressing AQP4/GFAP than healthy controls.

Platelet EVs did not differ between groups.

CD40 ligand expression was significantly higher in patients with SED and MDD than in controls.

In conclusion, the present study suggests that patients with SED, and to some extent, patients with MDD, have increased leakage of astrocyte-derived EVs through the blood–brain barrier."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-81453-8

Creekside, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Swedish website forskning.se recently published an article about biomedical research into various mental health conditions, including the diagnosis that in Sweden is known as exhaustion disorder (utmattningssyndrom, formerly utbrändhet or utmattningsdepression). This study was mentioned, along a couple of others from the same research group.

Psykisk ohälsa syns i blodet
    https://www.forskning.se/2022/04/20/psykisk-ohalsa-blodprov

Exhaustion disorder, or "burnout" is a separate diagnosis to ME/CFS/PVFS in Sweden, and is usually defined as "a stress related psychiatric disorder caused by long-term psychological stress that is often, but not exclusively, work related", which involves both physical and psychological/behavioural symptoms. I believe this group of patients is usually lumped in under the CFS umbrella in many other countries?

The official Swedish Healthcare guide 1177 is a good place to start if you want to learn more about the differences between the definitions, diagnostic processes and recommended treatments:
    Utmattningssyndrom
    ME/CFS
    Forum thread on the tablet study:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/impai...et-based-assessment-2021-bartfei-et-al.22495/

Forum thread on another study about leakage of astrocyte-derived extracellular vesicles, by the same research group:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/isofo...mental-disorders-2021-wallensten-et-al.27107/
    ETA: Marie Åsberg has been involved in ME/CFS research and other projects over the years as well, including a systematic review of ME/CFS research for SBU (Swedish Agency for Health Technology Assessment and Assessment of Social Services).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't judge the value of the research, but this is the sort of abnormality I expect they'll find in PWME: something that doesn't show up on the 'standard' testing, yet does interfere with normal brain function.

Mithriel and Peter Trewhitt like this.