1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Laura Hillenbrand 2020 —Her MECFS has improved and she has Covid-19

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Jaybee00, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moderator note: we have consolidated posts on Laura Hillenbrand in 2020 here, as there were multiple overlapping discussions.

Laura Hillenbrand (presumptive)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2020
  2. Jaybee00

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2020
  3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If her written accounts are an accurate portrayal of her illness, Laura would have been classed as having moderate M.E (with some severe episodes). It's still astounding that someone can be ill for decades and then have a decent 'recovery' after 25 years.

4. Jaybee00

Sounds to me more like severe. But she must not have had much in the way of cognitive symptoms if she wrote a bunch of books. I’ve mentioned this before but it seems to me that people who don’t have cognitive symptoms have a better prognosis.

5. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think she did have cognitive and neurological symptoms. If I recall she couldn't read for a while. It is worth re-reading her essay on becoming ill, because it's very good. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2003/07/07/a-sudden-illness

6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, she was severely ill. It is heartening that some recovery is possible.

7. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

25 years.. Incredible feat of character:trophy@

8. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She was dreadfully sick during her first marriage, and basically lived in the bedroom, and suffering terrible vertigo--from what I read. However, I also read that initially during the 2000s she did not seek help. But from what I read, not sure where--could have been on Cort's blog, that she eventually did start seeing some CFS physicians. I tried to find out whom she saw, but was unable to learn this. She does seem healthier now that she is in Oregon, and presumably under medical care, but I have no idea what this is--and would dearly like to know if she took antivirals, or what. But I guess this is personal information.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Louie41, MEMarge, JaneL and 1 other person like this.
  9. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I doubt that's useful information. For every person who's miraculously recovered by one treatment or other, there are hundreds more who didn't.

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

25 years? In isolation, for her, obviously it is impressive, but for many long-term sufferers they would happily swap with her.

Louie41, MEMarge, Chezboo and 5 others like this.
  11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She's had very severe vertigo, which I know from personal experience can be extraordinarily incapacitating.

Louie41, MEMarge, Yessica and 3 others like this.
  12. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sure, but there is always someone who has it worse. Does not make it any less of a feat to endure the illness for so long

Hutan, Louie41, lunarainbows and 5 others like this.
  13. Jaybee00

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

From a Loss, Something Found

No, not ME/CFS (well one sentence), but only to note that this article appears on the same page as the article about Post-Covid brain dysfunction that does NOT mention ME/CFS--posted on this page here https://www.s4me.info/threads/possibility-of-me-or-pvfs-after-covid-19.14074/page-30

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Louie41 and Invisible Woman like this.