1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Larry Kramer

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, May 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fauci remembers AIDS activist Larry Kramer for 'extraordinary courage'

“He changed the relationship between the afflicted community and the scientific/regulatory community— we’ve got to be in [the same] tent.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Z0aqHmduQ

Joh, Yessica, ScottTriGuy and 5 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately that relationship change was a one-time deal and no lesson was learned from it. In fact the scientific/regulatory community, Fauci included, basically outdid themselves not learning those lessons and failed even worse after that not-learning-of-lessons.

That would have been great, though. Imagine that, learning from failure. What a concept.

4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Larry was a very angry man and also lovable, although I only knew him slightly in the '80s. When the epidemic occurred, he found an appropriate target for his rage. I was involved in ACT-UP from its start at the gay and lesbian community center (no one said LGBTQ then) when Larry came to talk on Tuesday in 1986. He screamed at us that two-thirds of us would be dead in five years. ACT-UP came out of that. I was involved for couple years, when I moved to San Francisco and became a newspaper reporter. Then I couldn't scream on the streets and get arrested anymore--I was on the other side reporting about those things.

Noir, Joh, Oni and 20 others like this.
  5. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would to read what you wrote about it!

Joh, Trish and alktipping like this.
  6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Most of what I wrote in those years was print-based and in newspaper archives and not online. Most of it was standard coverage but I thought some pieces were pretty good at the time. I don't know how they would stand up if I read them again.

Joh, Trish, mango and 1 other person like this.
  7. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Let's find out! :)

Joh, Trish and alktipping like this.
  8. akrasia

akrasia Established Member (Voting Rights)

A couple of corrections. Kramer was a catalyst, a match that lit a fire that became Act Up, a political grassroots movement that consciously operated as a collective. This representation of Larry Kramer as the pivotal individual in the transformation that Fauci speaks of is not accurate. Many others did the hard work of research, education, and took on the burden of direct action, just as courageously and effectively as anything Kramer did. It is no surprise that Fauci would advance this view of Kramer as prophetic hero because of the complexity of his public relationship to him as it unfolded over the years. It's an image Kramer attributed to himself.

I think it had a lot to do with Fauci's desire to be absolved of the burden of guilt he bore for his participation in the grotesque neglect of HIV. Simply put, if Larry loved him then he was forgiven.

Also, I think his assessment has much more to do with an idea of a kind of Great Men of History, actors of "consequence" rather than the more threateningly subversive movement that arises from the ability of a group to recognize injustice and organize dissent collectively in a fight for their lives.

For a better picture of Act Up, have a look at either the book or documentary How to Survive a Plague.

Our day of reckoning with Fauci is yet to come.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    TiredSam, mango and Joh like this.