1. See the 'News in Brief' from w/c 12th August, by clicking here, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

Kirsty Young expecting to "recover" from fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and Connective Tissue Disorders' started by MeSci, Sep 30, 2018.

1. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Post viral syndrome was not controversial in the 60s and 70s. It seen as commonplace among my family that people could take a good few months to recover from a virus and get back to what they were. My husband took a bad post viral after flu which lasted for months. The thing is this was before CFS. There was no overlap with ME. Post Viral Fatigue syndrome was a new name that was brought in for ME at around the same time as CFS but never really took on, (except obviously for some doctors!) but it has joined the mess that is CFS.

Now, on the one hand, people get a post viral syndrome for want of a better word, but they are told they have chronic fatigue syndrome, recover and join the ranks of those who think they got better because they are not weak and didn't give in to it and then people who have ME are fobbed off with getting better in a few years. :banghead:

3. TiredSam

TiredSam Moderator Staff Member

When I was diagnosed I was told that there's no cure than there's nothing they can do for me. I was extremely impressed.

4. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...of-desert-island-discs?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Kirsty Young to step down as host of Desert Island Discs, permanently.

5. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Moderator Staff Member

My consultant (Dr Fred Nye, who was one of the good guys before he fell in with the BPS crowd :mad:) diagnosed me with PVFS, though he did ask me how I would feel if I couldn't work again. My fab GP at the time wrote to one of the people who needed Doc Letters that I had "a post viral fatigue syndrome that looks more and more like ME". She was a GP trainer at the time. The practice that I attend have always been kind and supportive - I do realise how lucky I am! :)

Annamaria, shak8, Trish and 10 others like this.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My sister-in-law has FM, and the first time she was off work when she first got FM, she was able to return to work after taking a year off. She was reinjured a second time at work, and was forced by her disability insurance to do a return to work programme which caused her a permanent back injury and she can now no longer work. Her GP tried telling disability that if they allowed her to heal from her work injury that in all likelihood she would be able to return to work within a year. They wouldn't listen. :(:banghead::banghead::banghead:

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"on the way to feeling much better" is spin, meaning she is not yet better, but hopes to get better... :(

Hutan, ladycatlover, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  8. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If by treatable you mean there are approved drugs that do some a little improvement, then sure, it's more treatable.

The prognosis for fibromyaglia patients (by Dr. Robert Bennett, of U-Oregon and who had thousands of fibro patients and who discovered the growth hormone deficiency due to sleep problems in fibro pts, he said: 1/3 get worse, 1/3 stay the same, 1/3 get better.

9. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interestingly, some UK clinics give the same stats for ME patients. This is based on clinical anecdote only, however.

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah. Reminds me that quite a lot of patients say they’re “recovering” when generally one doesn’t know if one is going to fully recover (or something close to it). Activity ceilings can kick in at lots of different levels.