1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

July 2021 edition of Medical Board of California News includes article about ME/CFS and Long COVID by MEAction

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by ahimsa, Jul 16, 2021.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The July 2021 edition of Medical Board of California News issue includes a 2-page article called, "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Long COVID: What Every Physician Needs to Know" by MEAction.

https://www.mbc.ca.gov/Download/Newsletters/Newsletter2021-July.pdf

The full byline for the article is, "By the Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Action Network (MEAction), with special contribution from Jennifer Curtin, MD, Center for Complex Diseases, Mountain View, CA."

Intro text (there's probably a better word for this?) for this article:

2. ahimsa

Tom Kindlon, Michelle, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  3. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, a colleague of mine at Berkeley, an infectious disease physician, sent me that. He was struck that they ran it. A lot of clinicians will see it.

4. ahimsa

5. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well done, MEACtion. Thank you!

When I looked at the Medical Board of California website a couple years ago, the most current “CFS” info was from the year 1999. Among the treatment recommendations were a graded exercise program, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and medications for depression. Much of the information was from Komaroff.

At the time, I was unsuccessful in persuading the Medical Board of California to update or remove this outdated ME/CFS information. They claimed to be underfunded and not to have the staff to maintain or update their own website.

The old CFS info can still be found on pp. 6-7 of this Action Report pdf:

https://www.mbc.ca.gov/Download/Newsletters/action-report-1999-01.pdf

TiredSam, Mij, Tom Kindlon and 10 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: Medical Societies and new Komaroff-Lipkin Paper Highlight Long COVID and ME/CFS Links

"In the US, where states are generally responsible for regulating health care practitioners, the Medical Board of California licenses and disciplines physicians in my state. The agency also publishes an online newsletter, the Medical Board of California News, four times a year. The July issue includes a focus on Long COVID, which is also called Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC). It features an account of a nurse suffering from Long COVID and an article—attributed to ME Action–called “Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Long COVID: What Every Physician Needs to Know.”"

https://www.virology.ws/2021/07/20/...-paper-highlight-long-covid-and-me-cfs-links/