1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Join us in Toronto this Sunday: Federal Health Minister at Town Hall

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by ScottTriGuy, Apr 11, 2019.

1. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Millions Missing Canada was just alerted that the Federal Health Minister will be in Toronto this Sunday for a town hall to take questions from the audience.

We're bringing Millions Missing Canada shirts for visibility, info about ME, and some prepared questions to share so that we have multiple questions about ME, but from different people.

I called the local host MP (Rob Oliphant) to request a quick meeting with the Minister before the town hall but they said her schedule is too packed.

I further requested that the Minister be made aware that we requested this meeting so that she is fully informed and that the tone of the town hall will be affected.

What do you want to ask the Minister?

Please join us and make ME visible to Health Minister Petitpas Taylor.

Let us know if you can make it so we can coordinate and keep you updated (like if we get a meeting with her): MillionsMissingCanada@gmail.com

cheers,
    Scott

Ginette Petitpas Taylor Town Hall.jpg Ginette Petitpas Taylor Town Hall.jpg

2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When will Health Canada be proactive and initiate up to date CDC- type training for all health care providers?

Why has Health Canada not followed the lead of the US in at least informing health care practitioners that ME is a very disabling biomedical disease (and just letting the CIHR do it in a newsletter)?

When will Health Canada endorse the documentary Unrest, as part of continuing medical education for health care providers?

When will Health Canada provide research funding for ME commensurate with disease burden and numbers of Canadians effected?

Why has Health Canada stalled on these initiatives? Who is Health Canada benefiting?

Despite Health Canada being involved in the initial phases of development of the Canadian Consensus Criteria on ME/CFS in the very early 2000s, why did this Ministry not endorse this case definition, and inform physicians of this new definition? (see page iv of the CCC Overview for a summary of HC's involvement:
    http://mefmaction.com/images/stories/Overviews/ME-Overview.pdf

Why did Health Canada support Cochrane reviews on GET and CBT?

Why has Health Canada neglected over 500,000 citizens with this very debilitating disease that leaves 75% unable to work and 25% house bound or bed-ridden?

Why is Health Canada leaving information about ME up to the Canadian Institutes of Health Research?

Why is Health Canada holding back on informing health practitioners about this disease?

Why is Health Canada not requiring that all health care providers, especially physicians take appropriate training about this illness?

There are probably lots more questions....

Thanks @ScottTriGuy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: Why has HC not reached out to universities to have them modify their training, or complete lack of training in this area?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Ron, Trish, Sly Saint and 6 others like this.
  3. ScottTriGuy

4. DokaGirl

Why when one looks up ME/CFS on the Health Canada website one of the main pages of info has been archived, and other info while important does not clearly define a case definition, message to physicians etc.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...ique-syndrome-myaligic-encephalomyelitis.html

ETA: Why isn't the HC website on this prevalent disease up to date, with the appropriate biomedical info and references for further research?

5. DokaGirl

Hope they don't close down the meeting; similar to the protest a couple years ago.

Way to go @ScottTriGuy and Millions Missing Canada!!!

6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ron, Perrier, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  7. Joeblow604

Joeblow604 Established Member (Voting Rights)

Good luck Scott! Hope you have support, make an impact and have some questions answered.

Ron, Perrier, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  8. ScottTriGuy

They are in process of updating the pages, but kind of fumbled the ball by not putting up a note saying such. How much detail they'll go into, I'm not so sure.

Ron, Perrier and DokaGirl like this.
  9. DokaGirl

@ScottTriGuy

Thanks.

I thought that's what they were doing, but it's been quite a while without new and correct info up. Also, does give one pause to see one of the main pages archived with no notice anything else is being worked on.

Hope the new material will be good.

Thanks, cheers.

Ron, ScottTriGuy and rvallee like this.
  10. ScottTriGuy

You'd think they'd have realized that by disappearing those pages, it looked like further proof the govt is trying to invisibilize ME / patients.

Ron, DokaGirl and Wonko like this.
  11. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Current funding is zero dollars.
    I would say commensurate funding compared to conditions like HIV or MS is XXX dollars.
    The question is what would have to be done by them to get ME to this level in the next 5 years and what are they willing to personally do to make sure it happens.
    And with interim targets, say 20% of that level increase per year?

Embarrass them publicly. Not because you enjoy humiliating them but to add pressure. Ask them if they are around next year will they still tell you it can't be done or will they be able to say we are 20% there?

You can also point out economic losses and how research and a treatment would cost a small fraction of the economic losses which would also reduce government expenses by disability programs, those who don't throw patients up the creek without a paddle and deny benefits. If there are any stats on this that would be nice to throw in as well.

12. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please let us know how this went when you recover

Ron, ScottTriGuy, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  13. ScottTriGuy

Good news - the Health Minister invited us to meet with her in Ottawa - I will follow up today to narrow down day and time.

I would say almost half the questions to the Minister were from ME patients, so we had a very good turnout.

Another small step forward, with many more to go.

There are some pics and videos clips on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MillionsMissingCanada/

TiredSam, Milo, mariovitali and 7 others like this.