1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Jo Bruce's Healthful Journey Living with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Dolphin, Sep 27, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPRAaxhUb3c

Healthful Stories, Inc.
    19 subscribers

54 views 25 Sept 2022

Jo Bruce had a rapidly-progressing career in finance derailed by myalgic encephalomyelitis, also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), a serious, long-term illness that affects many body systems. People with ME/CFS are often not able to do their usual activities. At times, ME/CFS may confine them to bed. People with ME/CFS have severe fatigue and sleep problems. ME/CFS may get worse after people with the illness try to do as much as they want or need to do. This symptom is called post-exertional malaise (PEM). Other symptoms can include problems with thinking and concentrating, pain, and dizziness. She has volunteered and shared her voice in support of the ME/CFS community. She lives with her husband and two chinchillas in Edinburgh, Scotland. This is Jo's Healthful Journey living with M.E.
    ---
    I was asked to share this online. I don't have the time/energy to watch it at the moment so thought I would post it here.

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I watched this yesterday; it's quite difficult to follow as it's clunkily edited and 'jumps about' a lot.
    Not sure why its called '..Healthful journey' tho as it mostly describes her going thro increasing bad health.

MeSci, alktipping, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The problem isn't with Jo Bruce. She's articulate, and mostly well-informed. I'm sure that her story reflects that of many people with ME/CFS and I found it interesting to hear how she views things. I liked her discussion of the courses she had been sent on to fix lifestyle issues that she didn't have, and of trying, and failing, to get back into work. Australians might be disturbed to hear that yellow fever happens in that country (I think she means Ross River Fever), she's an absolute fan of the Unrest film and Jen Brea, and there's a few commonly held ideas about ME/CFS that many of us here would disagree with. She makes good points about how many people with ME/CFS lose their important relationships, and the injustice that people with ME/CFS face.

The biggest problem is the editing that chops out the pauses between the sentences and creates the visual jumps. It's a lot easier to listen to than watch.

This seems to be a series of videos hosted by the same person - maybe some of the stories of other health conditions have different outcomes.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    MeSci, Solstice, alktipping and 7 others like this.