1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Circulating extracellular vesicles as potential biomarkers in CFS (2018) Castro-Marrero et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Kalliope, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Aroa, Sly Saint and 14 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea what this means in terms of understanding ME, and it's a tiny study, but the differences found in quantity and size of EV's is surprisingly different. Maybe a biomarker? Early days, of course.

Daisymay, Jan, Barry and 4 others like this.
  3. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Daisymay, mango and 7 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Daisymay, Jan, Barry and 2 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that @Diwi9. Really interesting - they are going to look at EV's as part of their 2day CPET study of all sorts of things in blood and brains before and after exercise challenge.

Daisymay, mango, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  6. Dancer

Dancer Established Member (Voting Rights)

Since I'd never heard of EV's, I did a quick google and see that they are being studied as markers in cancer, aging and other things. So perhaps it's more of a general "something wrong in the body" marker than an ME/CFS biomarker, but it still adds to the picture of the physical debility we have and might help measure if some intervention brings improvement or deterioration.

Daisymay, JaimeS, Jan and 6 others like this.
  7. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From a Cort blog

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2017/09/30/three-nih-funded-mecfs-research-centers-controversy/

Daisymay, Hutan, Jan and 7 others like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://www.s4me.info/threads/devel...ronic-fatigue-syndrome-me-cfs.965/#post-16364

A post by @strategist in November 2017 - Watanabe's team is on to EV's too.

Watanabe et al. have received funding to conduct a 120 participants PET brain imaging study.

The primary outcome:
    The level of brain positive inflammation dected by positron emission tomography (PET), [F18]DPA-714

Secondary outcomes:
    Oxidative stress level, Anti-oxidant activity, Metabolome, Proteome, Cytokines, Extracellular vesicles, Clinical test (CRP, cholesterol, etc.), CD antibody, Autonomic nervous system, Questionnaires for fatigue, depression and various symptoms, Arithmetic task, Sleep-wake cycle, Performance status for fatigue

Details https://upload.umin.ac.jp/cgi-open-bin/ctr_e/ctr_view.cgi?recptno=R000033257

John Mac, Daisymay, Diwi9 and 5 others like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Now this is interesting. I have long wondered if the extra-cellular matrix was playing a role.

Daisymay, adambeyoncelowe and Trish like this.