1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Itchy Inflammation

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by DigitalDrifter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20210111_174334 Small.jpg
    20210111_110203 Small.jpg

Lately I've been having attacks of red itchy inflammation. It doesn't look too bad on the pictures but it's sore and sometimes itches tremendously. I have very severe ME and although I've had very little light sensitivity, my sound sensitivity is worse and my touch sensitivity even worse. Having Autism & ME working in synergy means I experience a lot of suffering from skin irritation & itching. The itching is mostly under the skin so scratching the affected areas doesn't help much. It's beginning to interfere with my sleep which in turn is making my ME worse.

My carers are insisting that I see a doctor but my GP doesn't believe in ME and I'm terrified that he'll have me sectioned again.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a lot of that, mostly started about 2 years ago, or wasn't really obvious before. Especially joints in the morning, very red and itchy. Sometimes seems to bleed under the skin, mostly near arteries (or veins, whatever). Neck too, kind of zebra stripes that come and go.

No idea but doesn't seem worth the trouble. Another one of those things I'll deal with if and when I can have actual competent medical care.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It doesn't matter what your GP believes about ME as your skin condition has absolutely nothing to do with ME. As it is visible, your doctor can't deny that it is there. Ask to see a dermatologist if he/she can't offer any help.

Have you tried using hand cream to see if that helps at all? Sometimes if skin is dry it gets really itchy.

4. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get very itchy skin like that that goes red, which became extremely bad in first few years of ME. When I itch it, it seems to swell up a bit similar to what your pic is showing. I never had treatment for it but used calamine lotion continuously, which was soothing. Sometimes needed to put it on during the night as id wake up itching. Then I would just use things like Aloe Vera gel, oil based creams or whatever was at home. I can’t tell if your issue is exactly what I had. Have you tried over the counter type stuff like calamine lotion, itch free lotions for eczema etc before?

Edit: I noticed it was definitely triggered by eating a certain food and/or the sun. So I believe there could be an allergic component. But also often used to be there for no reason. Sometimes got hives as well.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  5. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have rashes that pop up hands, wrists, forearms scalp and neck mainly ...it’s worse when I’m in PEM or battling a cold etc ...there is a correlation with other allergy type symptoms as well (diahorrea etc...sorry tmi).

I take an antihistamine daily and this seems to keep it under control between crashes and use betnovate if the rash breaks the skin/ doesn’t clear up (dr thought I had exzema so I have the cream).. Think it’s a downstream symptom or just exaggeration of something mild I had anyway?

I’ve always been allergic to things like cats, dogs, tree pollen etc...it’s much much worse since I got sick with ME though.

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My daughter has had skin issues off and on since she was small.
    There is an allergy aspect ( dropping dairy helped) , and there are some compounds which she seems to have issues with which is gut related and seems to be dose dependent. ( some colours / bleached foods etc) so probably a glitch .

Glucuronidation for phase 2 detox seems impacted , again dose dependent , but drugs like cocodamol can be an issue.

She uses this cream from Amazon and finds it dosnt aggravate things

Neem cream has been used in past but it is quite strong smelling and this may be an issue

This cream has helped in past too
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/508...ive-skincare-dry?ref=shop_home_active_8&crt=1

Oats are soothing- put some porridge oats in a muslin cloth/ old pair of tights / long sock and tie round spout of bath tap. Run bath water through it ( it looks an uninviting grey colour) . Excellent for eczema like skin issues. You can also remove and use it like a poultice rubbing skin gently to apply a layer. Leave on for a while before rinsing off.

An old wives tale is also egg white - for those without allergies. Used for inflamed skin conditions ( including nappy rash!)

I hope you find something that helps.

7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Skin issues/allergies might be one of the symptoms in ME/CFS and Fibro that don't seem to get much of a mention.

I just found this article:

Extreme Itch in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    A result of nerve damage?

https://www.verywellhealth.com/extreme-itch-in-fibromyalgia-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-3972965

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if it's the same thing but I had a lot of problems with skin rashes at one point.

Typically it would start either on the soles of my feet or palms of my hands but not always. Initially it was very, very itchy and there was just a slightly raised red patch on my skin.

Then it would spread. As it spread it would raise into what looked like a big welt. It also hurt when it spread and it burned more than itched. As it died down it woukd turn the colour of a café latte & itch again.

At it's worst it spread up my legs and arms and across my torso. The skin tightened so that movement was restricted.

We never got to the bottom of what caused it. I did need to seek medical help and usually ended up needed a course of steroids to get it under control - tablets not cream.

I have to take allergy medication anyway these days. Occasionally, I still get some skin swelling or the initial itchy patch but then it dies away.

I initially ignored mine but then it suddenly got out of hand very fast & I ended up in A&E so, though your fears are completely understandable, I would consider consulting someone. At least to get it recorded in your notes.

My advice - when you do speak to the GP about it, don't even mention the ME. Just keep the conversation about the skin rash and symptoms related directly to that.

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

My experience with a skin rash was the GP took it seriously and did lots of blood tests. Nothing found, I decided it was probably a reaction to a medication, and the GP thought I was probably right. It gradually faded when I stopped the medication. It wasn't the same as you describe, so I'm not saying you have the same as I had, just saying the GP completely ignored my ME. It was something he could see, so he took it seriously.

10. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What if he asks why I can't talk or why I type on my phone using my nose or why I can't get out of bed? It's kind of difficult to hide very severe ME.

Today my carers told me they would be informing social services about my rashes and refusal to see a doctor. They also said that they'd be refusing service and leaving me without care.

Peter Trewhitt and bobbler like this.
  11. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m going to send you a PM.

12. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is that even legal? They shouldn't be allowed to bully someone into doing something that they aren't ready to do.

13. Yvonne

Yvonne Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a similar problem but I don't know if it is the same as I have rashes, and dry, broken and bleeding skin. It is worsened by many toiletries, cleaning products and creams, including Aveeno which was recommended by the dermatologist. I now use Sanex toiletries only, avoid touching any cleaning products or anything that might have traces of cleaning products e.g. washing up liquid. Steroid cream helps to ease the itching, but I have steroid sensitivity so can only use a mild steroid cream very occasionally when it is particularly bad. Most of the time I use Aquamax.

14. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had itchy hands recently, between my fingers particularly and noticed timing was possibly related to certain foods.

One of the foods was nuts and another was chicken and I am still trying to track down whether it was the chicken itself or something the chicken was fed, like possibly peanuts or something. Currently waiting for Waitrose to get back to me with chicken feed ingredients!

When I stopped eating all nuts and supermarket chicken the itchy fingers went away. Maybe it was a bad batch but I have not tried nuts again since, as they are notorious as allergens.

15. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not going to say anything about your condition itself, but if you could get a friend, family member, or carer to look for possible answers with this website :

https://dermnetnz.org/

I'd say it is the best dermatology website on the web.

bobbler, alktipping and oldtimer like this.
  16. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly that is not at all how it works for those in the UK who are under bad GPs. I can completely understand the caution.

I had something that eventually resulted in a 'dermatological emergency' and a letter back to GP noting between the lines how wrong they had got me (changed noting in their attitude and they just uploaded a different name and milder condition to my record) following having them spending each appointment trying to tell me 'with pruritis if you think of an itch and then scratch it makes you more itchy'. I had a psychology degree and a massive scab on my hand - that GP will never in retrospect think how silly she should have felt telling me that nonsense for 10mins.

Even tests that are blatantly under reference ranges according to their ideology can be rewritten to 'must have been something patient was up to behind back' rather than for norms being 'oh my goodness this indicates an issue to be gotten to the bottom of'.

So even if it is someone different they are primed by notes as well as guidelines suggesting 'psychosomatic'. And you can be understandably cagey and in a no-win to 'look unstressed' because what do you say to prove you aren't stressed in that situation - there is nothing.

If someone really wanted to define what 'BPS' is they should get some lawyers to do a case where they find 200 of the worst done over people and sit down wit them and SARS requests and pull out truth vs narrative and fiction.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed, and indeed a dermatologist has pointed me to this too