1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Improving Wikipedia's references to ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Dr Carrot, Jan 30, 2018.

1. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It does sound as though Wiki are trying to show that, within the group of those suffering from ME, those formerly suffering from ME, or those others with an unhealthy interest in ME, there remains a role for psychiatrists.

The obvious alternative of girlfriends is clearly out of the question.

adambeyoncelowe, Inara and Wonko like this.
  2. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

We could put up a page that says what we would like the wiki page to say. I'm not sure how we would go about getting it up the search ratings.

3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, the ME wiki should already about fill that, but yeah i'm not an expert in Search engine optimization :(

adambeyoncelowe and Inara like this.
  4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was just looking over the Graded Exercise Therapy page on Wikipedia. It still cites the CDC website as evidence. Can this be fixed?
    So, their reference for GET in "CFS/ME" is the CDC. But the CDC no longer recommends GET!

To those with Wikipedia expertise, is it possible to remove references to the CDC, as the CDC no longer recommends GET? Further, is it possible to remove the entire top section of the page, as it only references the CDC as evidence?

5. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wikipedia is critisized by some German newspapers as being non-neutral. It seems there are certain interests in certain areas. If you follow the actions in the article - as you did, @Dr Carrot - it is suggestive that these aren't just "users". You are lucky to having been able to identify one of the editors. My guess is, after what I have read about Wikipedia - it is very difficult, probably impossible, to change it at this point of time.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Wits_End, Allele and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  6. Inara

Believe it or not - the Wikipedia article convinced my GP that ME is a serious biomedical illness. At that time, there was not much about the BPS ideology in it, though. Haven't checked since. It sounds like that changed?

7. Inara

Probably other sites will jump on that, like "Psiram". There are connections between Wikipedia and Psiram. So even if Wikipedia will allow a Ramsay article, probably Psiram will write about that it's pseudoscience. But to verify one would have to try.

8. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I imagine the best approach is to find someone who is already a Wikipedia editor (or two) and ask them to make factual edits (like the CDC recommendation change, a short statement about PACE being criticised/controversial by other researchers and patient groups with links to the actual published criticism etc - all the most rigorous stuff).

The ideal person would be not much related to this subject usually but perhaps some past in editing on medical points.

[NB The information I personally think most important to be on Wikipedia would be that the cause is not known (but there are many potential mechanisms being actively pursued in research) and that no treatment is currently proven but that this is an ongoing investigation with a number of leads.

As there is resistance, I would try for getting statements about GET and CBT to be moderated with phrases like: not shown to be significantly more effective (in ME/CFS than any other conditions or healthy controls) than placebo effect. (Someone else could write this better).

Those are the sorts of things I needed to know when I was first looking.]

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

The answer to this would be for a paid link ie you pay google to get your website to come out at the top of the search. No idea how much it costs. I believe there are other ways of improving search rankings but I would think Wikipedia gets so many hits it would be extremely difficult to dislodge them from the top ranking.

10. mari_gold

mari_gold Established Member (Voting Rights)

Du you still have a copy of that version, @Inara?

11. Inara

No. I should have taken one, shit! Does anyone know for sure if the version from 2017 really changed?

adambeyoncelowe and mari_gold like this.
  12. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Inara there were big changes in 2016, if I remember correctly (German Wikipedia)

13. Inara

Then my GP saw the "new" one because he read it in 2017.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  14. mari_gold

mari_gold Established Member (Voting Rights)

Any hints and ideas who, why these changes (were) made? Why in 2016?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  15. cyclamen

cyclamen Established Member (Voting Rights)

There is a timeline in Wikipedia. You can access it via a button looking like a watch going back in time. It is positioned at the end of the article, left side.

Wow, there is a lot going on, like Unrest added, Unrest kicked out, Unrest added,...

adambeyoncelowe, Allele and Inara like this.
  16. Inara

5. Nov. 2016:
    :(

Is that one of the changes in 2016?
    I looked at some of the edits, and it doesn't look good.
    Oh, I see there were a lot changes through "Saidmann". The reasons sound pretty weird in part... (Can a reference be too old?! Huh? A publication is a publication...seems odd to me.) There were made changes in favor of Henningsen et al, i.e. the BPS model.

Does someone know what happened that led to these changes? Did Henningsen contact Wikipedia probably?

Oct. 24th 2016:
    By Henningsen :rolleyes:

It's seems like Saidmann acted like God. He changed whatever he wanted.

Oct. 6th 2016
    Old:
    to new:
    And much more...there was definitely a change in favor of the psychiatrists. Reason: evidence-based. :laugh: Or: "no encyclopedic representation; Chaotization of article formatting", therefore change to psycho stuff. :slugish:

I can now picture how the English site must look like...

17. lycaena

German Wikipedia: If I remember correctly, in 2016 a person not related to ME/CFS (I guess) made a lot of good edits, than this same person made some weird edits, then the medical wikipedia team got involved ...

adambeyoncelowe, mari_gold and Inara like this.
  18. Inara

How do you know that person was not related to ME? And maybe it was that person's job to start havoc in order to get changes in the psychological direction?

It really sounds strange that - it seems - for years the content was ok, and instead of changing weird changes back, completely new content is created - psycho content. For this, new researches of publications is needed which costs a lot of time. Why should that be dond if there's not an interest behind that?

By the way, didn't know Wikipedia has teams with special expertise...are they paid employees? I thought it's open.

Ahhh, I think I don't know Wikipedia, and I start to think I don't want to.

19. lycaena

@Inara You can search till summer 2016 and make your own mind. This first 2016- edit-person put a lot of work in the article. Most of her/his stuff is now gone. She/he had good ideas about ME/CFS and some strange ones which don't fit any ME or CFS advocacy direction. She/he seemed to be involved in a lot of other non related wikipedia articles.
    I don't think there is a conspiracy.

20. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's interesting to also check the discussion page. You can read all the discussions about the changes and get to know the people who made them in the archive for the last years (I went through it all when I started editing, it's doable) - but you have to click on the the discussion and not the CFS-page.