1. Guest, the 'News In Brief' post for w/c 10th September is available here.
    Dismiss Notice

Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG)

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Sly Saint, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Might it be worth Researchers taking another look at this, in conjunction with the Rituximab data?
    "
    Introduction

Therapy with high-dose intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) has been demonstrated to be useful in several diseases, from autoimmunity mediated by autoantibodies (such as Guillain-Barré syndrome, myasthenia gravis, etc) to primary and secondary antibody deficiency states. It has also been recommended in inflammatory conditions (myopathies) and in some infectious diseases (viral pneumonitis after transplantation, severe or recurrent Clostridium difficile colitis) (UK Guidelines, 2009). This kind of treatment is sometimes offered to ME/CFS patients too, with a wide range of doses, frequency and number of administrations. In what follows I have searched for trials of IVIG in ME/CFS patients, seeking for evidences of efficacy."

https://paolomaccallini.wordpress.c...mmunoglobulin-therapy-in-patients-with-mecfs/

although this writer who compares a number of studies comes to the conclusion that
    "These three controlled trials do not seem to support the use of IVIG in ME/CFS, even if there is some data in favour of the use of the highest dosage (2g/kg/month) in patients with low CD4 count."

most of the research seems to have been on small samples, a while ago (1 on children).

I am sure there are more positive/promising reports out there.

zzz, Justy, paolo and 6 others like this.
  2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish there was a trial that combined high dose IVIG and Rituximab although I suspect there never will be. I believe they work synergistically in a sub-group of people like myself and I do not believe I would have achieved my current results with only one or the other (but of course could be wrong about this).

I know Paolo from the other board and he is incredibly smart and knowledgeable (not sure if he is a member of S4ME)?

I have talked to endless people in two private IVIG groups in which IVIG has saved their lives (both immune deficiency and autoimmune dosing). It absolutely works for many different illnesses and symptoms. I wish there were more studies on it.

zzz, Justy, Helen and 6 others like this.
  3. Helen

Helen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This article and single-case story is interesting, I think. I would guess that IVIG was the most important treatment in her recovery.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18063928
    Full article

zzz likes this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Nigel Speight has used this with positive results. Cost is a stumbling block.

zzz, Justy and Joh like this.
  5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've heard rumours of an upcoming publication on gammaglobulin and ME. Don't know how big the study is or from which country, but am looking forward to read it. Anyone here who knows more?

Joh likes this.
  6. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In this interview from June 2017 about CFS, Prof. Scheibenbogen says (on page 3) that they're doing a trial with high-dose immunoglobulin at the Charité in Berlin. But I don't have any other information about it.

https://deutsch.medscape.com/artikelansicht/4906061#vp_3

TiredSam, zzz, Justy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Justy

Justy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found low dose SCIG very useful, sadly i couldn't access IVIG and eventually started reacting to SCIG and had to stop. This has led to a decline in my condition quite noticeably.