1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Interferon-Lambda: A Potent Regulator of Intestinal Viral Infections, 2017, Lee and Baldridge

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by sometexan84, Sep 24, 2021.

1. sometexan84

sometexan84 New Member

Abstract
    Interferon-lambda (IFN-λ) is a recently described cytokine found to be of critical importance in innate immune regulation of intestinal viruses. Endogenous IFN-λ has potent antiviral effects and has been shown to control multiple intestinal viruses and may represent a factor that contributes to human variability in response to infection. Importantly, recombinant IFN-λ has therapeutic potential against enteric viral infections, many of which lack other effective treatments.

In this mini-review, we describe recent advances regarding IFN-λ-mediated regulation of enteric viruses with important clinical relevance including rotavirus, reovirus, and norovirus. We also briefly discuss IFN-λ interactions with other cytokines important in the intestine, and how IFN-λ may play a role in regulation of intestinal viruses by the commensal microbiome. Finally, we indicate currently outstanding questions regarding IFN-λ control of enteric infections that remain to be explored to enhance our understanding of this important immune molecule.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28713375/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2021
    Peter Trewhitt and Amw66 like this.
  2. sometexan84

sometexan84 New Member

Relevance....

Here's a summary of Interferon Lambda, and some other links that show why this is so important...

Enterovirus in ME/CFS
    • Dr. John Chia finds persistent Enterovirus B (Coxsackie B and/or Echovirus) in nearly all of his ME/CFS patients.
    • He also found that treating these infections, 100% symptom relief completely paralleled with Enterovirus B antibody titers (eradicating the virus resulted in complete remission)
    • This is confirmed here in the Phoenix Rising forum as the vast majority who have tested for Coxsackie B and Echovirus via ARUP (only accurate lab for this test) have high antibody titers to 1 or more of the following...
      • Coxsackie B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6
      • Echovirus 6, 7, 9, 11, 30

Chronic Enterovirus B is usually in your gut (GI tract)*
    • Enteroviruses invade gut/intestinal mucosa, as this is a reservoir for viral persistence. The mucosa consists of epithelial cells
    • Enterovirus found in parietal cells of ME/CFS patients. (Parietal cells are epithelial cells)
    • Again, Enterovirus targets the gastrointestinal epithelium
    • GI Tract, or intestinal epithelium, or intestinal mucosa, all same thing

(GI tract) Intestinal epithelial cells are infected
    • IEC (intestinal epithelial cells) – those in the GI tract (aka barrier, aka mucosa, aka epithelium etc)

GI tract secretes IFN to destroy infection

Enterovirus B eliminated successfully by IFN

but wait... Coxsackie BLOCKS IFN III (lambda)
    • But Coxsackie B evades host’s immune response in the intestine by preventing type I and III IFN expression in epithelial cells
    • CVB cleaves proteins in infected intestinal epithelial cells, blocking IFN III expression.
    • Thus, evading immune response

Peginterferon lambda (IFN III) as strong antiviral

The Enterovirus Theory of Disease Etiology in ME/CFS: A Critical Review (O'Neal and Hanson, 2021)

Video Dr. Byron Hyde - Enterovirus theory?

alktipping, ukxmrv and Peter Trewhitt like this.