1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Inflammatory modulation of exercise salience: using hormesis to return to a healthy lifestyle

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Arnie Pye, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Title : Inflammatory modulation of exercise salience: using hormesis to return to a healthy lifestyle

Link : https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-7-87

Paper is open access.

I thought that bits and pieces of this paper might be of interest to some people here.

Exercise salience is defined here :

Later in the paper it states (my bold) :

I am not clear on why the authors restrict the source of any inflammation they consider important to that which is "lifestyle-induced". Surely if inflammation changes people's behaviour then it will do so whether the inflammation is lifestyle-induced or is induced by having the flu or by developing cancer or by having arthritis or gout or by having any other sickness.

I think you might have to pick and choose which bits you like (if any) and which bits you don't. But I thought it might be of interest to someone.

Wonko, Sarah94, Starlight and 4 others like this.
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep

3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

exercise has been the go to since the eighties after all it cost health services and insurance companies nothing .and if the patient cannot exercise back to good health then it is simply their fault .

Sarah94, Mij, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have said before, my parents worked very physically for long hours in a factory for very little and came home exhausted, they certainly never "exercised" as we know it.

My children's generation work long hours for very little sitting at desks in call centres and come home too exhausted to exercise. Neither had much choice of lifestyle

I think long repetitive work in toxic environments is common to both which could well be a source of inflammation as well. It annoys me that everything is made out to be self inflicted when most people just struggle alone doing the best they can.

As you say, take whatever is useful, ignore the rest

alktipping, Arnie Pye, Wonko and 4 others like this.