1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Human papillomavirus vaccination and postural tachycardia syndrome, deconditioning and exercise‐induced hyperalgesia, 2020, Ishizaki & Gomi

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Dolphin, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've no idea whether HPV vaccine increases the risk for POTS. From what research I have seen it doesn't seem to increase the risk of ME/CFS.

Saying that, this paper looks like it could be annoying.

https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jog.14227

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it's very annoying. The author wants to explain POTS as being caused by lack of activity. That might explain some cases but the onset of my POTS was so abnormal that it cannot be due to deconditioning.

Besides the usually described symptoms, I had widespread nerve pain, nearly constant shivering and piloerection, involuntary and forceful jerking of my body, as well as sometimes flushing in response to eating. It was a sudden and drastic change from my usual state, which had involved long periods of low activity levels with none of such symptoms or even POTS symptoms. Something was very different. It felt like some autoimmune process damaged my nervous system.

In my opinion articles like these do not increase trust in vaccines because the author appears to be distorting what POTS is actually like. Labelling people that report adverse events from a vaccine as suffering from a psychological disorder is also a great way to create distrust. It is the kind of behaviour that one could interpret as attempting to silence victims.

I think instead these patients should be welcomed and told that we do not know the cause of their symptoms will do research to find out (and not research led by the likes of Fink).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Simbindi, Trish, Sarah94 and 6 others like this.